General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wazzbot
(newbie) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:05:00
Print Post

Urgent! broadband needed for 3 professional poker players

[link to this post]

Hi guys!

This is the situation. We are three professional online poker players, and as such we need solid, reliable internet access. We moved into a new property in Kentish Town, north london, just under a month ago. Our estate agent provided us with the direct number of an employee of virgin media, and as such we managed to get 20 meg cable (or fibreoptic? not sure) running a couple of days after we moved in, as well as an HD tv deal, for £42/month total.

Our broadband has been spotty at best (and we didnt get the HD channels, and the normal channels were poor quality), going down sometimes 8 or 9 times a day, requiring a modem reset (we had to provide our own wireless router! [censored]). Where our living depends on solid internet access, this has obviously cost us a not insignificant amount of money.

They kept on promising to come round to upgrade the cables or some stuff. Yesterday they called and told us that, because we lived on a busy high street, they couldnt get access to the cables for long enough to upgrade them, and as such they would be cutting us off. During the phone call our internet died and now were having to resort to mobile broadband, which is obviously more expensive and less reliable, were not tech-savvy enough to share it between 4 computers, and even if we were, we want to be able to watch youtube or other high-content websites without worrying about running out of data usage.

So we would like to find a reliable business broadband company that can get us a contract asap. Our lease for the property expires in June of next year but we dont mind signing a 12-month contract or even a 24-month if it means we get good internet. We would like a tv deal with it but thats not a matter of priority at all.

We would also prefer to have no bandwidth allocation but again if the best deal comes with one, we would live with it.

Thankyou very much for your help, its much appreciated. Im sorry if this is a repost, but I have neither the time nor patience (im sure you all understand having had to deal with customer services people at isps) to search through the forums.

mike/wazzbot
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:30:09
Print Post

Re: Urgent! broadband needed for 3 professional poker player

[re: wazzbot] [link to this post]

There are plenty of options to you but first thing you will need to sort out is a phone line as you can not have ADSL based service over a virgin cable phone line.
Kentish town has plenty of options, you have LLU there (although you want a business connection) and 21CN there also.
What sort of usage do you think you may need each month?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User wazzbot
(newbie) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:32:32
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

in terms of bandwidth? we can live with not that much, my semi-educated guess would be 10 gig/month.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:39:23
Print Post

Then you have plenty of options, but first thing is there a phone line other than cable in the property?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User uno
(experienced) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:44:19
Print Post

For something that includes TV, with an unmetered service, Sky would be the natural fit.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User wazzbot
(newbie) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:52:35
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

There is no phone line at present.

Sky would be acceptable, the point is that we dont really care about a tv or phone package, what we do want is a minimum of hassle, both in getting it set up and ongoing, and the most reliable, solid internet and wireless (we are tech savvy enough to buy and set up a quality wireless router, though) access possible. If sky fit that bill, perfect, but my understanding is that they dont.

The other salient point is that it needs to be installed and running asap.

Edited by wazzbot (Wed 08-Sep-10 18:06:01)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Sep-10 17:56:11
Print Post

I agree, I don't think Sky are suitable as you have already said that you want a business grade service.
What ever you do you will need to get a phone line sorted first before you can order a broadband service, we do offer this service but I have read in another post that BT are doing a deal is you sign for a 12 month contract. Once the phone line is installed then you can get the broadband ordered.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Sep-10 23:34:02
Print Post

Any decent reliable LLU ISP in your area would do for running 4 Poker Clients to a poker site; they don't use much bandwidth.

At least you will not be able to sit down at the same table and cheat, as you will share an IP addy. wink

O2 Basics with a 20 GB pm FUP @ £13 pm (or more on higher packages) or Orange Select LLU with a 40 GB pm FUP @ £12 pm would do the trick.

You need to 1st get your phone line back to BT. BT are currently charging £30 to install new lines, if your line needs it for BT.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Sep-10 23:49:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Any decent reliable LLU ISP in your area would do for running 4 Poker Clients to a poker site; they don't use much bandwidth.

At least you will not be able to sit down at the same table and cheat, as you will share an IP addy. wink

O2 Basics with a 20 GB pm FUP @ £13 pm (or more on higher packages) or Orange Select LLU with a 40 GB pm FUP @ £12 pm would do the trick.

You need to 1st get your phone line back to BT. BT are currently charging £30 to install new lines, if your line needs it for BT.
You could get a block of IP addresses on BE PRO and cheat all you like.

_______________________________________________more unwritten rules than posts______
Standard User Drew_M
(learned) Thu 09-Sep-10 07:27:09
Print Post

As has been said already, you need a phone line. I would suggest getting hold of BT Retail and getting that on order ASAP as that is going to take some days to get installed. Don't be sucked into the push they will give you for BT Broadband, unless that is where you want to go. You don't have to buy both at the same time or from the same people (I have ranted about this in another thread, so I won't repeat myself).
I wouldn't bother trying a simultaneous provide (When BT turn the DSL on at the same time as install the phone line) either, in the numerous I have done, less than 0.5% have worked and end up taking longer to sort out than ordering it after the line is installed frown

I would suggest that you don't go down the LLU route as once you are there it is more difficult to move. Taking service from a BT Wholesale provider will allow you to move between more ISPs more seamlessly if you find that the one you pick doesn't do all that you want (I hope this isn't the case but you don't have huge amounts of time for research!) and if you are earning a living from the connection, I would suggest that you pay for expediting the ADSL once the phone line is installed. This will cost you £165 but will get you online 24 - 36 hours after you place the order (Depending on the time of day you place the order and BT's database having been updated following the new line install) as opposed to 7 days.

Reading this through, I seem to have a load of don'ts so to summarise with some do's:

Order your phone line ASAP
While you are waiting, pick an ISP (I suggest a BT Wholesale based product, particularly as your bandwidth isn't huge)
When you have your new phone number, expedite the ADSL order
Play poker (And win!)

As for IP space, we can do static blocks in either IPv4 or IPv6 but I suspect that's getting a little too technical. You guys want to play poker and make your living, not play Internet smile

Feel free to give me a shout if you need a hand (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun tongue )

Drew

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to