General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MarkHampshire
(committed) Wed 29-Sep-10 03:50:39
Print Post

24Mbps leased line pricing

[link to this post]

I've been trying to find an office with decent connectivity. One such place is telling me that they have a 24Mbps leased line with an SLA.

I'm thinking this would cost an absolute fortune and what they actually mean is something like bonded ADSL. If I remember rightly, when I worked for Tesco.com they had a 100Mbps leased line and the cost was in the tens of thousands per month/quarter.

Is it at all likely that they do indeed have a 24Mbps leased line...? smile

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Drew_M
(learned) Wed 29-Sep-10 06:29:13
Print Post

Re: 24Mbps leased line pricing

[re: MarkHampshire] [link to this post]

It's quite possible. Leased lines have dropped in price over the last few years. I have to admit that 24Mb/s is an unusual number (Most would look to round numbers, so 10, 20, 25, 30 but you don't have to). The only way to check is to go there and run some traceroutes to places. That will tell you who it's with and what the latency is like. If it's over say 10ms to London then be suspicious. We have lines in Petworth, West Sussex which are in the 6 - 8ms area and that is a little further south and more rural/ less well connected than where you are.

Drew

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Sep-10 08:44:30
Print Post

What they may mean is an ADSL2+ line with the various Total Care enhancements.

You can get 1:1 contention DSL based services, that run to a couple of hundred poiunds a month.

Again the devil is in the detail.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tarkadahl
(learned) Wed 29-Sep-10 08:53:52
Print Post

24Mb leased line is totally do-able.

Pricing I have seen puts a 10Mb line on a 10Mb bearer at around £7000 per year.

I haven't seen pricing for 20Mb, but to get 10Mb on a 100Mb bearer is around £9000 per year, this could be scaled up to 20Mb easly for little extra cost. I would imagine it would be less than a grand per month.

If you are a business and require the connection for all of your income and cannot afford any downtime, its often a price that is worth paying.

Also, a 1Gb leased line on a 1Gb bearer is around £160,000 per year, £13,333 per month, if Tesco are paying that much they are getting fleeced smile

All these prices are for BT Net, been to a few places which have this service...
Standard User bookey
(experienced) Wed 29-Sep-10 13:04:18
Print Post

As others have said 24 is a odd number.
I have a 100Mbit LL here and it's only ~£2,500 per month.

Paul
(committed) Wed 29-Sep-10 13:20:43
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Cheers for the replies - it's just a bit of a co-incidence since ADSL2+ is "up to" the magic 24 Mbps. However they seem confident about their connection, so might well be worth a look.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Wed 29-Sep-10 18:15:48
Print Post

We're in the process of having a 20mbps leased line installed in one of our remote offices.

Cost was around £3k install charge and £750/month. Costs will depend a bit on location and if BT need to do anything unusual.
(committed) Wed 29-Sep-10 21:19:27
Print Post

[re: tarkadahl] [link to this post]

Tesco was a fair few years back... they also had a duplicate failover installation somewhere (the location was a secret, it even had a codename!) and I remember seeing the bill for it once and being amazed at how much it was. The server room in the building was most impressive though - about 24 web servers at the front end.

This one's in Wokingham on a business park, which is a bit of a trek, I have a place to look at in Aldershot this week which is a bit nearer.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Wed 20-Oct-10 19:22:57
Print Post

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

Who did you go with for the leased line?

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User hutchingsp
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Oct-10 20:24:45
Print Post

Re: 24Mbps leased line pricing *DELETED*

[re: hutchingsp] [link to this post]

Post deleted by hutchingsp
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to