General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Mon 14-Feb-11 18:49:00
Print Post

OPAL/TalkTalk Why

[link to this post]

I'm currently with OPAL/TalkTalk Business, transferred from F2S. Ive been getting not so good connection speeds so was looking at other Broadband providers and have discovered that there would there appear to be a cease order in place on my ADSL account .
Anyone got any idea how that could happen? I've only contacted Opal/TalkTalk once to enquire how to access the new website so I'm completely mystified.
Allan

Al
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Tue 15-Feb-11 18:04:54
Print Post

Re: OPAL/TalkTalk Why - the answer

[re: Allan1] [link to this post]

I'm told that "it's nothing to worry about", my line is staying with BT but my broadband is being switched to TalkTalk's network. Would that make a difference as there are no other providers on the exchange apart from BT?
Perhaps I can imminently expect faster and more reliable connection or maybe I'll have no broadband at all before long.
Allan

Al
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 09:02:27
Print Post

If there are no LLU operators on your exchange I am not sure how it can show as a cease if they say it is just you moving onto their network, you said there were no LLU operators on your exchange so they can't move you to their own network.
What exchange are you on?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 09:25:28
Print Post

sounds like you are being unbundled off BT exchange kit onto Talk Talk.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Wed 16-Feb-11 18:28:06
Print Post

Hi,
Exchange is NEWYL. No LLU operators.
Lady from customer services said not to worry smile
Allan

Al
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Wed 16-Feb-11 18:30:33
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Except the exchange is Market 1

Al
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 21:03:40
Print Post

An exchange can be market 1 and still have talktalk LLU on it...i.e. the online lists are not always accurate and the shift from market 1 to 2 and 3 is not automatic but passed on occassional updates from Ofcom

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Thu 17-Feb-11 07:29:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,
I hadn't realised that could be the case,. The exchange doesn't have many subscibers and it covers a largely rural area?
But when I put my number into a checker to see what is available when I switch ISP now the cease order is no longer showing.
As it's before 8a.m and the speedtest shows a download speed of 1.3,(and normally at this hour I get 5.6 to 6.3) if I've moved I'm not sure if I'll be staying.
Allan

Al

Edited by Allan1 (Thu 17-Feb-11 07:38:29)

Standard User Nigel_101
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 12:40:38
Print Post

I also was on F2S, and was getting good connectivity for a rural exchange with no ADSL or LLU; I was regularly getting 6Mb/s download, 650Kb/s upload. Then in the 2nd half of last year the download speed became erratic - usually below 1Mb/s, often below 400K. The odd thing was the upload speed remained constant at 650Kb/s. F2S opal offered to switch me to a different tariff and promised better connectivity, but the upload speed would drop to a notional 442K instead of 884K. I suspect Opal/talktalk were downgrading the F2S service to persuade me to switch to a tariff with a slower upload speed. This is probably what is happening to you: it is likely that after they have regraded you your upload speed will be capped.

Unfortunately to keep the higher upload speed you will have to find a business 8000 service; these seem to be about £40-60K per month.
Standard User Allan1
(regular) Thu 17-Feb-11 17:20:53
Print Post

[re: Nigel_101] [link to this post]

I think it's more likely that they're trying to persuade me to go elsewhere:

My Broadband Speed Test

My Broadband Ping
Thanks
Allan

Al
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread