General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User spectrumcs
(newbie) Wed 23-Feb-11 22:18:32
Print Post

Mass migration away from F2s/Opal/TalkTalk business

[link to this post]

I am an engineer who works for a small IT support company based in Coventry.

We have been a Freedom 2 Surf reseller for about six years and have approx 75 ADSL lines across our customer base whom are spread throughout the Warwickshire, Leicestershire and West Midlands area. We also have approx 30 domains names hosted with them and have a couple of customers whom use the Freedom 2 Surf POP3 services.

Since the re-branding which took place at the beginning of the month (over three weeks ago!!) the portal hasn't worked correctly. It takes ages to login, and even if you do get in you can't do anything! You can't make any alterations to domains hosted with them. We also can't create / modify any POP3 mailboxes. We're not even able to purchase any new services! The website tells us to call 0800 542 6926. When we call the number the website tells us to we're told "sorry, you're an F2s customer, you'll need to ring them". When we ring the F2s support number it just rings and ring until you finally get cut off. At the moment we've not experiencing any ADSL or DNS disruption but my fear is that we will eventually and we'll have no support!

Because of all this we're considering migrating all our customers services away from F2s/Opal/Talktalk which will obviously be a really pain in the backside! Does any one have any experience migrating a large number of ADSL lines from one ISP to another? Any tips or things to be aware of? Also, any recommendations of ISPs to go to? We liked the reseller portal we were provided by F2s which made purchasing of additional services and management of existing services very easy so any recommendations would ideally have this functionality as well. As always cost is a factor, F2s have always been quite cheap compare to other ISPs, We don't need anything special, 50:1 ADSL MAX is acceptable for the majority of our customers.

Any advice gratefully received!
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Feb-11 22:25:44
Print Post

Re: Mass migration away from F2s/Opal/TalkTalk business

[re: spectrumcs] [link to this post]

We've managed mass migrations in to us a number of times in the past, but I'm not the kind of person to try to to hard sell you a product as that would be biased. Feel free to check out our range of packages at http://adsl24.co.uk/broadband/ or ask me any questions if you wish to know more, or need any specific advise. I'll leave it up to you to check it out in your own time, so come back to me if you need anything smile

The most difficult part of a move like this would be that if some/all of your existing accounts are provided over full LLU (MPF) where you also take the landline with Opal/TalkTalk too then this would cause the delays and cost of moving back to a BT-based line. On the other hand if all your lines are on the standard BT network with no LLU happy days!

James

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User spectrumcs
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 08:12:22
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. I'll cast my eye over your website later today.

PS. None of our customers are LLU, unless they've been unbundled without our knowledge (which I've know to have happened before with a Demon customer!).

Also, its just occurred to me that its going to be very difficult to get MAC codes from F2s/Opal/TalkTalk Business as no support teams wants to talk to us! Am I right in thinking there is absolutely no way to migrate an ADSL service from one ISP to another, on the same telephone line without a MAC code? The alternative would be to put in additional lines, get ADSL with different ISP on new line and cancel the old line but going that 75 times would prove expensive!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Feb-11 11:05:33
Print Post

You can migrate customers on mass but you would need to use the bulk migration process and would need to obtain the BBIP and CBUK numbers for all the accounts and get an authorisation from someone holding the TAGS to confirm their acceptance on moving the services away from F2S.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Fri 25-Feb-11 08:08:07
Print Post

We have a subdivision that provides IT support and I would suggest that no matter how much you dislike F2S/ TT Group, you would be better managing the migrations in a phased manner. A mass migration will move all the lines at the same time, so you will have a batch of routers to reconfigure and likely staff needed on site to ensure this happens in a way that doesn't cause upset to your customers and that is before anything goes wrong.

If I was planning this, I would pick off sites that are close together and put those migrations in at the same time, that way one or two engineers can be sent to that area to make the changes and get customers working with out too much down time (Down time because some times BT will reset the session as migration completes which will leave you with the wrong user name/ password details in the router. Other times the ISP that is losing the connection will hoof you off their LNS as you migrate achieving the same thing).

We can offer this type of project planning if that helps but if does mean that you will need MAC codes to be able to progress this. OfCOM might be a last resort if you can not get any sense over the phone/ email.

Good luck!

Drew

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 25-Feb-11 10:00:08
Print Post

I Had a similar problem around 2 1/2 years ago except that my supplier (Prodigy) did in fact go bust and I was left picking up the pieces.

I ended up migrating to Nildram who have always provided excellent products and top notch service.

There have been a lot of changes in the organisation and service standards have dropped. There are other issues which I believe they are working through including handling migrations within the newly expanded TT group.

This doesn't directly answer your question but I would suggest giving the office that I use a call, they may be able to help.

0800 107 0100, this is the sales / customer service side of Nildram, ask for Mark or Lee. Another TT number to try is 0800 298 2981.

As an aside, based on my experience, I would aim to avoid either a mass migration or any kind of scheduled migration and stick with F2s untill TT gets their new interface sorted (which I've heard is supposed to be around 3 weeks away)

Good luck.
Argy
  Print Thread

Jump to