General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-Feb-11 12:47:30
Print Post

Buisness Broadband (Aberdeenshire)

[link to this post]

I am having to change ISP due to my Tiscali business adsl being handed over to Talk Talk residentual (without being informed) and the service being far from acceptable.
I used to have 8meg dl 1meg up with a 20:1 contention I am on the Kemnay exchange (not LLU)outside of aberdeen, I run a server and require good reliable remote access, however am finding it hard to find any provider who will give me an uncapped 20:1 contention buisness package for a fair price.
I only need access, a fixed IP, 8meg down as that is max from my exchange 1meg up with 20:1 contention, and recomendations?
Thanks
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 24-Feb-11 14:17:33
Print Post

Re: Buisness Broadband (Aberdeenshire)

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sam knows says there are only 59 businesses on Kemnay so unlikely to be much choice for a business package.

BT package is ubiquitous but may not be the best so use it as a benchmark see
http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/intern...
kitkat
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 24-Feb-11 14:32:54
Print Post

what is your "fair price" ?

does it need to be actually unlimited ?

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 24-Feb-11 14:40:58
Print Post

I have a house up there ... a little way to the NW of you.

We only have a BT Business ADSL max connection running at over 7Mbps and I never see any contention but unfortunately just 448k (max) upload. Fixed IP no problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Feb-11 15:19:36
Print Post

Re: Business Broadband (Aberdeenshire)

With non LLU you can get a business connection, but your upload will be a max of 832k
Now you say you need the data to be unlimited, but do you have any idea of the amount of data you actually use?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User JNeuhoff
(committed) Thu 24-Feb-11 16:59:13
Print Post

You only got BT-based 20CN ADSL available at your exchange, with a maximum upload speed of 832kbps (real world speed no more than 700kbps) so running your own host at such a low upload speed over an old copper BT line is not a good idea. I think it's better to use an external host.

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design
Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Fri 25-Feb-11 07:53:49
Print Post

Uncapped in today's BT Wholesale world is not something that most ISPs can afford to do, unless you are heavily contended or shaped. However, in my experience most people who want unlimited just want a more 'reliable' bill for easier budgeting.

I would suggest trying to find your current use (If you can't or don't know this just let us know what you use the connection for e.g. just email and some web traffic or you run a streaming media and major p2p node from your office smile ) and then looking at packages (Or making a package in our instance) that fits your needs and budget.

Drew

Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Sun 13-Mar-11 17:43:59
Print Post

Like yourself i live in a small village in the Scottish Highlands and before my exchange got LLU'd , i was with an ISP called Goscomb and paying £26+vat pm for 8128/832 kbps connection with 60gb monthly download. Top top isp, full line speeds 24/7, highly recommended smile
http://www.goscomb.net/connectivity/broadband/consumer

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up