General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 28-Apr-11 16:06:41
Print Post

"L2TP" or "reselling to oneself"

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm a UK expat returned to the UK after many years tending racks abroad.

I've seen in a few previous posts the phrase "buying LT2P" or "reselling to oneself" mentioned.

My question is, as a reasonably net-geek unfamiliar with the UK's xDSL marketplace how does this happen/what do we need/is it expensive? and so on.

Not technically, but physically/practically. Cisco-ese/OpenBSD/FreeBSD/GnuLinux spoken, so the tech aspects are no problem, but my Google-fu has returned zilch on WHO to approach and WHAT to ask for.
There must be a special code-word for it?

Context: 5 or 6 ADSL1/2+ locations, very infrequently staffed (1 week out of 4 usually), but heavily used (small disk images for recovery, rsync tranfers, etc etc) when they are. Two sites will need Debain and OpenBSD mirrors, you get the idea.

We also have 10 or 15 customers that might "jump in" to make the numbers up. Basically, we "manage" their lines anyways right now with our own CPE on other ISPs wires-only, we otherwise just do sysadmin work as a "complete" package for them.

We're looking primarily for stability and manageability, though I really don't know what's involved at all.

...And from the horror stories in this forums already , nothing from or passing through the likes of TalkTalk please.
Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Fri 29-Apr-11 09:16:40
Print Post

Re: "L2TP" or "reselling to oneself"

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Hi

You can buy L2TP feed from several ISPs (Us included). You will need a router capable of terminating L2TP tunnels and a radius server for authentication. You will also need IP address space and some form of Internet connectivity (Transit, peering etc) and a presence in a suitable co-lo data centre. The benefit of buying L2TP feed is that it is priced on a more wholesale model, so you pay for the tail circuit and then the bandwidth that you use. The answer to the is it expensive question depends on how many circuits and how much bandwidth you buy.

I would suggest with the few circuits you have, you might be better looking to do a wholesale style deal to encompass your circuits. I am happy to discuss either option in more detail if this is of interest.

Drew

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Fri 27-May-11 12:05:49
Print Post

You might also do well talking to Entanet - They certainly resell a L2TP service to Goscomb as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 27-May-11 15:03:02
Print Post

Hi There,

I am a contract manager at Fluidata where we manage LT2P wholesale connetcions for ISP's and businesses. We have implemented teh technology to allow organisation to become an ISP themselves or use exisiting infastructure to interconnect into our LNS.

My Clients start with five ADSLs and move into several thousands of ADSL's. If I cant help you dioretcly then I have no doubt that I would be able to make a recommendation.

Simon Stokes
simonstokes@fluidata.co.uk
07855 899743
Standard User Falconnet
(learned) Sun 12-Jun-11 16:35:38
Print Post

Hi Anonymous.

I work for an ISP that can offer L2TP plus co-lo stuff and pretty much everything else bandwidth-wise (and, like you have just returned to the UK after about 10 years away). We work with both business and consumer customers.

Feel free to drop me an email if you'd like a quote or even just a chat about what's do-able in the market over here.

Chris Bulow
chris@merula.net
http://www.merula.net http://www.falconnet.co.uk
T: 01480 222940 M: 07548 674625

Falcon Internet Limited
http://www.falconnet.co.uk
  Print Thread

Jump to