General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ste__
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-11 10:39:19
Print Post

ISP for a charity

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest an ISP for a charity? They have several sites that need linking up. One proposal is to link each site via VPN, possibly using Draytek kit. The main site would need a static IP for inbound VPN ideally.

Question is, can anyone suggest an ISP that can offer VPN usage without breaking the bank? I would guestimate about 20GB/day if fixed usage applies.

Checking the VIrgin Media site, the head office location looks to be in a cabled area. This would be ideal for the head office site as it is expected this site will host their Active Directory domain controller/server (which would also share basic files eg word docs, spreadsheets etc). So upload speed here is important. But what are Virgin like in terms of usage limits and VPN support? crazy

Thanks wink

EDIT: Just realised Virgin media only does upto 5meg uploads... maybe no good then. WHat about a decent FTTC provider at the head office?

--
schadenfreude n. the malicious enjoyment of another's misfortunes

A happy PlusNetter crazy

Edited by ste__ (Mon 29-Aug-11 11:37:08)

Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Tue 30-Aug-11 09:40:07
Print Post

Re: ISP for a charity

[re: ste__] [link to this post]

Hi

We would be very pleased to see what we can do. Depending on the number of sites, there are also options that can be looked at for MPLS style closed user group connections, removing the need for VPNs as well as providing centralised gateway control.

Static IPs, yes, no problem
IPv6, yes no problem
Our own core network, yes, no problem (So traffic won't leave our network helping to minimise latency and other external factors)

We can offer the full range of BTW products, so ADSL2/ FTTC where available would give you the upload or bonded ADSL would also do this for the head office (Depending on location). There might also be other solutions that would also help, such as our cloud based applications, so the data doesn't need to go backwards and forwards so much.

If this is of interest, please feel free to drop me a line. I would be happy to talk through your requirements.

Drew

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 30-Aug-11 10:19:00
Print Post

I would suggest FTTC at the main site so you have decent upload speed (assuming you can get FTTC). Otherwise you are limited to 1Mbps or so with ADSL2 (all depends on how far you are from the exchange). BT Infinity seems to be the cheapest unlimited FTTC offering. Remote site would be fine with ADSL2 and there is a large choice of suppliers. Be is worth a look, although not the cheapest they do offer unthrottled bandwidth. A lot of the choices depend on the location of the site, serving exchanges, distance from exchanges.

The draytec as router/vpn nodes sounds a good choice.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sadie_D
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-11 12:21:26
Print Post

What each ISP can offer depends on your exacting requirements, for example where you host your servers currently, whether you are looking for other cost saving implementations such as VoIP or Video Conferencing.

Also, looking to put in a centralised MPLS type solution as Drew suggested or alternative Private Wide Area Network means that no one site can be relied on and you do not need firewalls at each site keeping management time and hardware costs down.

If you want to discuss some alternative options I would be happy to help, just keep in mind when looking at the options available the importance of each site, the time frames you are working to and about your technical teams available time to spend on management.

Sadie Douse

Fluidata Account Manager
Tel: 020 7099 8987
Email: sadiedouse@fluidata.co.uk
Standard User renald
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 12:58:25
Print Post

[re: Sadie_D] [link to this post]

This is the first time I am hearing this word. Can you please broadly explain what it is, why and how it works.
Standard User Sadie_D
(newbie) Tue 27-Sep-11 17:19:53
Print Post

[re: renald] [link to this post]

sorry, which word are you asking about?

Sadie Douse

Fluidata Account Manager
Tel: 020 7099 8987
Email: sadiedouse@fluidata.co.uk
  Print Thread

Jump to