General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 11:57:39
Print Post

ISP for new area

[link to this post]

I'm moving into a new house and below is the exchange that serves us.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MYMSG

As a student house we will likely have moderate to high usage, but likely well under 100GB per month (guessing 30-70GB range). As little throttling and traffic shaping is also needed.

At another property we used BE*. I'm thinking O2 for this because I've heard good things about them, and I have an existing O2 mobile phone contract. That way I can get their "All Rounder" package for £20 including line rental. BE* would cost at least £30 including line rental.

What do you guys think?
Standard User charles1
(newbie) Sat 01-Oct-11 09:23:55
Print Post

Re: ISP for new area

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I can recommend O2. Am currently on an offer where The All Rounder costs me the equivalent of £6.25 pcm (including the O2 mobile discount). I think there's another offer running at the moment for new customers. I guess contract length will be important for you - so I thought I'd mention it as a reminder - O2 do 12months or 30 days contracts at differing prices.

I get 15Mbps download & 1.3Mbps upload with low latency. Of course, as with DSL from any supplier what you get in terms of speed / quality will depend on your line characteristics and distance from the exchange.

To me it's as good as BE, as I don't use P2P or stream videos at >8Mbps, but you need to be aware of the traffic management policy and decide for yourself whether it is acceptable for you: O2 Traffic Mgt Policy

I would suggest that 100GB is not much between 4 users. However there was an article on the O2 blog a few days ago suggesting the limit had been done away with for The All Rounder and The Works packages - I would check this before entering into a contract though.

Good Luck with the new house

---------------------------------------------------------------
O2 The All Rounder My Broadband Ping
Standard User epyon
(member) Sat 01-Oct-11 10:53:15
Print Post

Re: ISP for new area

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well

i would stick with BE depending how close you are to the exchange

also O2 has some pretty bad traffic management for p2p and the like depending if thats you're thing and they also don't offer fastpath for gaming

if you're pretty far away (est speed of say 6mbps or less) then you're probably best of getting virgin medias 10mbps or 30mbps package though the smaller package the more traffic is throttled maybe you should just grab the 50mbps package laugh

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to