General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 11:54:47
Print Post

New line and broadband - suggestions pls

[link to this post]

Want to have a phone line put into the village hall for the preschool to use and have broadband for the first time.

Anyway couple of questions:

1. does it have to be a business line (probably a stupid question but not bothered about better fault responses, support etc just want CHEAP!) or can I get away with ordering a residential one?

2. Depending on the answer to the above who's going to be the cheapest, phone will see infrequent use and broadband usage will be between 9:30am and 2:30pm but I MIGHT look into running a fee paying hotspot at a later date to bring some revenue in.

Not keen on throwing money at BT (directly), it's a smallish village so no LLU nor cable so a BTW provided line is the only option. Phone will only see use in the event of emergencies so not often (I hope) and mostly for incoming calls.

Need it to be cheap as poss as preschool is always skint and a registered charity (fund raising only thing keeping it going).

Thought this would be the best place for this but apologies if not

TIA

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 13:42:56
Print Post

Re: New line and broadband - suggestions pls

[re: Rich44] [link to this post]

1. Preschool can hardly be regarded as business, esp. as a charity .... until you put in a fee-paying hotspot, that is.

2. I've no personal experience but Plusnet always seems cheap and reasonable and runs on BT network. £6.49 pm BB +£12 phone line.

What exchange? If it is 21CN enabled you can get "Up to" 20 Meg BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-11 13:49:51
Print Post

Then you will be fine with a residential phone line. If there has not been one there before, that's where you are going to see the cost for the new activation for the phone line. We do res phone lines for £11.40 per month, no contracts.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 21:08:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Cheers I looked at Plusnet but because we're on good old fashioned 20cn with no date set for 21cn I think line rental etc is gonna be around £30 a month. Having said that I don't think i'm going to do much better for them than that.

TBH the hotspot thing is just something i've just thought up, no planning and no agreement to do so from committee anyway that could be a long time off or might never happen just me trying to think of a way of recouping some of the cost as we're in a tourist hot spot (sorry) with atrocious phone signal lol

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Nov-11 21:16:28
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info I may very well take you up on that. There was a line at the hall many moons ago (about 4 years ago as we were offered it at the time but were running at £1000 a year loss so couldn't take it on then).

Cheers

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Nov-11 21:50:33
Print Post

4 years ago, it would be very unlikley you could do a restart, so it would be a new connection (our cost is £65.00 + VAT for a new line instalation)

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Rich44
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:37:38
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Had that with BT a few years ago line was disconnected when old guy living next door died, 2 weeks later MiL moved in BT wanted £120 to reactivate the line! They claim they disconnect from the exchange as quickly as possible now to "free up" the exchange. Now being cynical I thought that was a great way of not reconnecting lines on the cheap....

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to