General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 21:12:20
Print Post

BE Unlimited or O2 The Works

[link to this post]

I'm definitely going to go with either O2 or BE, but not sure which. I know really the only difference is that BE offers fastpath and O2 doesn't and I do game quite a bit but does it justify spending £150 and more for the first year?
My address is about 0.75 miles away from the exchange (as the crow flies), so is fastpath going to make much difference to my ping or is the line too long to get good results from it?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 21:14:46
Print Post

Re: BE Unlimited or O2 The Works

[re: nix1016] [link to this post]

Be is unthrottled and unlimited, O2 isn't. Do you have ADSL at the moment?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 21:17:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah, I read O2's The Works has a fair use policy of 250gb per month which is plenty for me and I dont really care if the p2p is throttled during peak hours.

I don't have adsl atm as I've just moved to a new place, just want to know if it's worth going with BE for the fastpath. Does it make that much difference for gaming?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 04-Dec-11 21:53:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by nix1016:
I'm definitely going to go with either O2 or BE, but not sure which. I know really the only difference is that BE offers fastpath and O2 doesn't and I do game quite a bit but does it justify spending £150 and more for the first year?
My address is about 0.75 miles away from the exchange (as the crow flies), so is fastpath going to make much difference to my ping or is the line too long to get good results from it?
or you can save on the be retail prices and get the same be service via a wholesaler such as xilo/uno their prices are less for the same products, and are i believe monthly contracts too, and of course have uk based cs and tech support , be retail is based in Bulgaria or wherever
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:01:06
Print Post

Is Be LLU available at your exchange?

See http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Another option may be Sky LLU.
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:09:31
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yes, I have these options:
AOL: Enabled
O2 / Be: Enabled
C&W / Bulldog: Enabled as of 15/06/2003
Digital Region: Not available
Edge Telecom: Not available
Entanet: Not available
Lumison: Not available
NewNet: Not available
Node4: Not available
Pipex: Enabled as of 10/07/2006
Rutland Telecom: Not available
Sky / Easynet: Enabled
Smallworld: Not available
TalkTalk (CPW): Enabled
Tiscali: Enabled as of 15/03/2006
Tiscali TV: Enabled as of 15/03/2006
WB Internet: Not available
Zen Internet: Not available
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:11:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Does xilo/uno allow users to turn off interleaving? I'm looking mainly at that and then at download usage. Do they throttle during peak hours and if so what sort of traffic? I don't care if it's p2p, just not streaming... and I don't really care too mcuh about support either since I hardly ever call them.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:19:56
Print Post

As well as Be, O2, and Sky it is probably worth looking at the C&W LLU resellers (as mentioned earlier).

Do you have an O2 phone. Not sure where you are getting pricing from. The O2 Works seems to be £21 a month if you are with O2.
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:23:39
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I had a look at xilo/uno broadband and they don't seem to offer phone + broadband bundles? Their pro 24 package is 21.99ex and only has 75gb cap, this is the same price as BE which has unlimited data usage. I don't think I'd go with them over BE or O2...
Standard User nix1016
(newbie) Sun 04-Dec-11 22:29:58
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Yeah, I do have an O2 phone and I would also need a landline which is why signing up with O2 in my first year will be so much cheaper than BE, especially with £43 connection for O2 & £85 for BE. Is Sky any good for gaming? I don't think I've seen them ever mentioned as a gaming ISP? The thing is I don't really need TV so I don't want to sign up a tv package with them. If I sign up with O2 it will be The works + landline = £28.5 per month (and 2 months free), BE will be £32 per month on unlimited + landline. Plus the difference in connection cost, it will be almost £150 difference for the first year.

But my real question is will turning interleaving off for my line (about 0.75miles from the exchange) make much difference ping-wise?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to