General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bignose2
(newbie) Sat 18-Feb-12 16:40:05
Print Post

New Talk Talk ADSL2+ from BT ADSL 1 Business

[link to this post]

HI,

Only been 4 or 5 days but thought I would post my experience of moving from BT to Talk Talk, partly for the Services but mainly improvement from BT ADSL 1 to LLU Talk Talk ADSL2+.

Current (Rural) exchange had only BT equipment with Only ADSL Max, no fibre & no ADSL2+, no cable in my area.
I live about 3km from exchange with Attenuation of 43db.

Much to my surprise & delight some months ago Talk Talk went LLU on this exchange.

So I signed up, Did take over 10 days from MAC to going live but all went smoothly enough.

Have to say BT did have reliable connection and at 3km getting 6500 sync, 5700kbps test speeds pretty good but Upload restricted at 448kbps and 370kbps real speed I was looking for improvements. Also peak slow down, whilst not terrible on business could easily go below 2MB but perhaps overall OK. Also worked well with my Vodafone Suresignal, Mobile 3g via broadband. Could not say the same about Orange broadband (before BT) which was terrible & CS was even worse but thats another sorry story.

Immediately pleased with sync Down was 8mb, real speed 6500Kbps & Up real speed 650Kbps, whilst I was not sure I would get much if any significant improvement from ADSL 1 to ADSL2+ being such a long way from exchange I had hoped for a little more.

I noticed this was on a SNR of over 12db (always managed a steady sync on 6db before)

Here I thought I had found my first dissapointment, I emailed Business CS, 48 hours no reply (& still none actually), I thought I would join the talk talk forum, lots people seemed to be getting direct & fast support for there lines, changing profiles quickly. Turns out Business users cannot subscribe to this, only residential. Again thought not looking too good.
Was not really in any rush, thought line might settle but as not email response I phoned CS.
Only after 2 minutes queueing spoke to helpful & knowledable chap, He did say 12db was the norm, I am not so sure of that, but I asked to try better, 9db or pref 6db. He said he had now changed to 6db, interleaved. At that second I could see the modem had changed and within a few seconds was on 6db. So within 5 minutes of phoning I had the profile I wanted, no arguing or pleeding.

I was impressed. He said any worries/problems/dropped lines, can eaily try 9db.

Now syncs 10mb Down & 1mb Up, real speed 8600kbps & 810 kbps. Better that I had ever imagined on 3km cooper wires.
My SNR did start of at 6db and hold quite well, only 5.5 at night, but has since dropped, often around 4.5 but never lower than 4. Not ideal but not dropped out completely at all for over 48 hours. I guess could restart modem and get slightly lower sync but sure woudl still be very good but while holds going to leave.

Also so far, absolutley No peak time slow down, not tested too much but early evening no change at all. 8500kbps. Will see Sunday.
Not sure if Talk Talk or business priority, but BT was not as good as this and I thought they would have priority on backhaul even on ADSL 1.

To sum up, Talk Talk been good so far, customer support fast & responsive and did what I asked.

ADSL 1 to ADSL2+ even at 3km with 43 attenutation has seen a very significant increase in speed.

Hope his helps, I was hesitant about moving from BT to Talk Talk (Forums don't always paint a great picture of there CS) and was not sure worth the risk if I could not benefit from the ADSL2+ on my line length.

Vodafone Sure Signal also stable (so far) this can be effected with ping & latency and not sure how interleaving might effect. Don't think I had this before, ping times always seemed OK. Do not online game but tests I have done imply I have a grade A service.

Will see as time goes on.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Feb-12 17:23:22
Print Post

Re: New Talk Talk ADSL2+ from BT ADSL 1 Business

[re: bignose2] [link to this post]

Post router stats to see if you are getting what you deserve?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Feb-12 10:25:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

43dB attenuation and 10 Meg sync mentioned so sounds pretty good

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bignose2
(newbie) Fri 24-Feb-12 16:57:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi,

Just a quick update from my original post, has been a over a week now and still very pleased.

Almost never see real speed test go below 8400Kbps or 780Kbps.

Got bit worried as SNR seemed to steadily be going down but has settled around 4.5-5.5, Tad low & thought I might get problems but has never dropped the connection and as mentioned above speed always really fast so don't think error correction is kicking in or making any difference.

Vodafone SureSignal also never dropped out, great!!

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB023k.d21d
DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38
DSL Status: Showtime
DSL Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Channel:
DSL Upstream Rate: 1020 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 10047 Kbps

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 5.2 dB 4.8 dB
DSL Attenuation: 43.0 dB 21.4 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 0.0 dBm 13.0 dBm