General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JonBradley
(learned) Tue 27-Mar-12 16:01:41
Print Post

Moving to new area - Options for better upload as no FTC

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I work from home as a sole trader. I currently use a BT Infinity line where i am. I have quite an upload intensive business. I tend to need to upload large files at some points quickly. However the area we are planning to move to has no FTC (and no date for install) and the BT speedchecker is telling me between 6.0Mb and 8.0Mb.

The exchange is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWDPW

So only Sky LLU available as another option.

What are my options for getting a faster upload? I would think a leased line would be too costly for me but what about bonding 2 lines together. Does anyone have any experience or guidance?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 27-Mar-12 20:00:35
Print Post

Re: Moving to new area - Options for better upload as no FTC

[re: JonBradley] [link to this post]

You can't use sky for business - it's residential only. However, talktalk is also available.
You could use per-packet load balancing instead of bonding, which should double your upload if the receiving end supports two or more simultaneous connections.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User leexgx
(learned) Mon 09-Apr-12 05:40:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

its from home so business or not not as important, unless he wants to pay 3-4x more for it and get the support to keep the line running (not sure why you cant use an ADSL product based on his title)

unless cable is where your moving to as you can get up to 10mb upload on there 100mb service (that's if the area is not oversubscribed),
BE support Line bonding 2 ADSL lines £65 an month + 2x BT lines at £14 an month each (normal phone lines) so £93 an month

but really is if its worth it for paying that much more for maybe up to 2 or4 mb upload? then £25 ish for an norm ADSL connection with nearly 0.7 or 2mb upload (BE offer Annex M on BE Pro for more upload speed if they can best to call them see what they can offer or who ever your looking at getting) sure last time i called them it was India support but they seemed ok (Not an monkey reading an script)

i do not know of other providers that offer bonding other then BE as i had there basic ADSL at my Storage unit, until i canceled it (no longer needed the storage unit), if any one els has list of other providers that offer high upload speeds then other ISPs out there post away

Edited by leexgx (Mon 09-Apr-12 05:41:56)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 09-Apr-12 20:12:15
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
its from home so business or not not as important, unless he wants to pay 3-4x more for it and get the support to keep the line running (not sure why you cant use an ADSL product based on his title)

unless cable is where your moving to as you can get up to 10mb upload on there 100mb service (that's if the area is not oversubscribed),
BE support Line bonding 2 ADSL lines £65 an month + 2x BT lines at £14 an month each (normal phone lines) so £93 an month
BE are offering a bonded connection with free install and the first 3 months free which brings your calculated price down. But I said about load balancing not bonding as BE isn't available wink.

______________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 09-Apr-12 20:13:32)

Standard User leexgx
(learned) Wed 11-Apr-12 06:43:13
Print Post

load balancing does seem to make more sense far cheaper as well, or move house to an place where FTTC or Cable is around or closer to the exchange for ADSL2 (first thing i do when moving house check what you can get)

Standard User Ev_Networks
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 10:51:49
Print Post

[re: JonBradley] [link to this post]

Hi there, I've just come across your OP and although I realise itís quite a few months old, I thought I'd share some extra information just in case you or somebody else needs it.

Firstly if you were to go for a load balanced connection you will have to independently manage all the broadband lines yourself. If one of your lines goes down or develops a fault, it would be your responsibility to resolve. So even though load balancing is cheaper, this will take up time and energy away from your business which can translate to a higher total cost of ownership.

It's also important to note that with a load balanced connection, you will receive separate IP addresses on each line. This means that you have to configure as well as manage the load balancer yourself and work out what services are inbound and outbound, and how you will deal with the traffic inbound to an IP if a line goes down. Once again this possibly takes up time away from dealing with more important business issues.

In comparison a bonded ADSL connection comes with 1 single IP range across all of the lines. There is no loss of connection if a line goes down so you donít lose any IP routing, and you would only manage a firewall device as you would on the end of any single internet connection.

Hopefully this information is helpful to you, or anyone else looking at a similar decision now.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Aug-12 11:26:29
Print Post

[re: Ev_Networks] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ev_Networks:
a bonded ADSL connection comes with 1 single IP range across all of the lines. There is no loss of connection if a line goes down
This is incorrect.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 11:35:37
Print Post

I very much want to respect the rules of the forum, but Iím not sure how this reply will fit with this, but here goes.

There are many ways of providing bonded connections, and different companies will ďbondĒ in different ways.

One way of doing this, and forgive me if this is starting to get technical, is to provision multiple ADSL (or FTTC, Ethernet, EFM etc.) lines, which do of course each have their own IP address. But the customer would never see these addresses, or frankly care about them, because they would be connecting their firewall up to a bonded internet gateway, which would sit in front of each of the network termination endpoints.

The IP range we mention would be the IP range on the bonded internet gateway, which is indeed spread across all of the component circuits (tunnelled to a central bonding instance).

Complex algorithms ensure that when a tunnel drops on an individual circuit, traffic would continue to and from the same IP range across the remaining lines, and remain transparent to the end user and their firewall.

I hope this clarifies.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 07-Aug-12 11:46:35
Print Post

[re: Ev_Networks] [link to this post]

Oh, I think you mean sharedband. You might want to refer to the Eclipse forum for an insight into how that goes wrong.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
(newbie) Tue 07-Aug-12 11:57:47
Print Post

Actually Iím not referring to sharedband, and I am very aware of the pitfalls of this service.

Not least of which is not being able to cope with high bandwidth circuits, and the difficulties in getting decent support for a service that is not fully managed or end to end.

Sharedband doesnít have a bonded internet gateway that sites in front of the modems. Instead it uses flashed consumer grade routers in ďprimary/secondaryĒ roles. This does mean less horsepower doing the bonding, and also a delay when the secondary device ever needs to take over from the primary.

For the avoidance of doubt, what Iíve been describing is fundamentally different from Sharedband, and much more business class.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to