General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrpaperclip
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 19:00:03
Print Post

Eclipse Bonded serice speed problems

[link to this post]

We have had months of problems with Eclipse and their bonded service. The promised speeds of 40M often dropping below 2M and today 56K. I want to dump this service but before I do I wanted to ask if anyone else has had a bad experience with this company.

Support incidentally falls into just two categories, exceptionally helpful or sod off and reboot. Neither fixes the problem.

The truth is itís typically during working hours as I get 40M at 3am Sunday morning but still they say change your filter or it must be you, or reboot, or test each line Ė even though itís frankly obvious it cannot be at my end. The single ADSL line I had with ZEN always out-performed the four bonded ADSL I now have with Eclipse, one on the lines being the same physical lineÖ.
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:50:34
Print Post

Re: Eclipse Bonded serice speed problems

[re: mrpaperclip] [link to this post]

Don't they use the sharedband service to provide their bonding?

You could go through the guide here to see if that helps to pinpoint the problem.

I would test each line individually if possible when the slow down happens to eliminate or confirm the bonding service as the problem.

The sharedband service tests the line speed at intervals to set how to spread the load across the lines. Maybe turning up the frequency of the test might help to cope with some slowdown.

As a last resort and if it is provided using licensed Sharedband you could be cheeky and phone the Sharedband tech line for advice.

I had a long chat with their presales technical line who seemed really clued up. If I remember correctly having just one erratic/faulty line could cripple the overall speed.
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 21:20:19
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Shareband is quite specific about slowdowns during peak periods blaming ISPís for contention and traffic shaping and to be honest I believe them. My speed right now has increased, google loads quickly and itís on its way up (although current download speed is still only 10% of the promised).

Shareband also say my 4 lines are working fine.

By 4am Iíll be at full tilt and by 11am dramatically slowing down again, come mid-afternoon and itís useless. As this service profile is repeatable from Monday to Friday I have a problem understanding how this could relate to a bad line/ hardware my end. Had it been a 24/7 issue I would have immediately agreed with you.

My expectations are realistic, I expect some contention but the above tells me there is a very serious bottle neck in the Eclipse Ďsystemí and they simply won't/can't admit to it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Aug-12 18:50:04
Print Post

used to be with eclipse, kept dropping to 56k which as the line was upto 8 mb was ok... then there was a fire in their data centre and the speed shot up to 8 mb, the [censored] [censored] had been nerfing my [censored] line all the [censored] time, the speed slowly decreased back to 56k in 30 min segments, so that would not apparently notice

bunch of useless [censored] who seem to constantly [censored] customers in the hope they believe them

been with merula for a while, occasionally talk to tech support and no script monkeys who want me to repeat all the simple and obvious steps that have already taken...

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula MaxADSL
http://www.speedtest.net/result/400698774.png
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 01:11:50
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

Oh my friend do I feel like I should buy you a beer.

I know this too, I have felt every excuse like a "pee off and die dagger". 5 months I have suffered in the ways you describe.

They do not care at all, well possibly some might, but in the end it never gets resolved simply because it cannot get resolved - it always was about bandwidth and a lie.

Going to Eclipse was the most singular bad decision of my entire IT life.
Standard User Ev_Networks
(newbie) Mon 06-Aug-12 12:17:08
Print Post

This sounds like a contention issue to me, bonded ADSL and contended networks generally do not go well together. I would suggest this is likely to be the main cause for slow or variable speeds.

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Sun 19-Aug-12 20:48:16
Print Post

[re: Ev_Networks] [link to this post]

yet without moving house, just isp the servicee massivle improved,

strange how one isp is content so screw with my line to the extent that was unable to play streaming music and is now much better, although will have to admit some bt inspired issues do not help much

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to