General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cradster
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:22:19
Print Post

To BT or not BT, 2 Lines, 2 ISPs for backup

[link to this post]

Hi

We are about to move our business to new premises and I am currently in the process of sorting out the phone lines and internet. My plan is to have 2 analogue lines installed and have BT Broadband on one line and then use a different ISP for the other which will work as a backup and will also be utilised for VOIP traffic.

When I ordered the lines with BT and explained my plans to use 2 ISPs the operator went off on one and couldn't understand why I'd want to use any one other than BT as my ISP for both lines. He kept going on about how it is all the same equipment so if BT has a problem then everyone has a problem.

I understand that if the BT Exchange blew up then it wouldn't matter what ISP I was with its not going to work but I thought there was a lot more to it than that, DNS servers etc.

Am I right in thinking there is a benefit to using 2 separate ISPs or am I being stupid?

Thanks
Craig
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 01-Oct-12 14:29:14
Print Post

Re: To BT or not BT, 2 Lines, 2 ISPs for backup

[re: cradster] [link to this post]

What exchange?

If there are no LLU ISPs there then it will be all BT kit at the exchange, but it will then fan out to the diff ISPs own networks.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User irrelevant
(member) Mon 01-Oct-12 16:21:17
Print Post

For the last ten years, we've had two lines and two ISPs here, both usually LLU providers; at one point for resilience reasons, but latterly just kept on to get the extra speed. ("Up to 16Mbps" DSL was giving us ~5Mbps). There were definite instances when each ISP has had problems but thankfully never both at the same time, so we were never without internet.

Having now upgraded one to FTTC, I've given notice on the remaining ADSL line - it's not adding much to the speed any more, and costing me money. I'll then migrate the phone number over to a VoIP service - I'm a little worried about having all my eggs in one basket, but that's how most people operate. And my router will support mobile internet as a fallback, so I think I'll set that up just in case.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Oct-12 17:07:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by cradster:
Am I right in thinking there is a benefit to using 2 separate ISPs?
Yes.

Most of the problems seen are ISP related and at the ISP end of the connection - not at the exchange.

BT Wholesale seems very reliable to me, but I would not use BT retail as a provider. (I have had no trouble with either Zen or Entanet)

If I had a reliable LLU provider at the local exchange then I would use them for the backup connection.

Alternatively, if you have a cable connection available, then I would use that for the backup.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
  Print Thread

Jump to