General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Mon 11-Feb-13 15:30:07
Print Post

Short term (3 months) phone line and broadband needed...

[link to this post]

Asking on behalf of a small business which (because of matters outside their control) are needing to use a location in central Chester for up to 3 months and will be looking for a phone line and broadband (with or without a router).

Would appreciate comments from anyone with firms they can recommend (from experience) or if you're an ISP + telco firm, feel free to send a private message if you prefer that approach, or post here too.

Obviously looking at fairly low cost options if poss, broadband traffic likely to be below 30 GB a month at a guess.

There's a small chance that once they move to permanent address (along the same street) they could still wish to have the line and broadband, but I appreciate there would be further costs for moving both to a different address. It does mean that those who would only consider a 12 month minimum term might be in with a chance though, so if that's your stipulation, do make it clear what costs would be charged for the whole year including a transfer to another address.

Thanks for any feedback. Situation is that the place is ready to use 'now' so any ideas about lead time from placing an order this week to installation would also be of interest (I have seen that some installations are being moved around a lot for residential customers, not sure how many business installs are being rescheduled and delayed, though).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 12-Feb-13 08:22:54
Print Post

Re: Short term (3 months) phone line and broadband needed...

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Plenty of monthly contract ISPs where you pay the connection fee up front (and buy your own kit) so that bit is easy. The phone line is less so, as I think only the Post Office do a monthly contract on the phone (bizarrely 12 month on broadband) but even they may charge for leaving early* and it's really a residential-only service.

* If you cancel Post Office HomePhone® within six
months of any New Line Provision, we may charge
you a cancellation fee to cover our reasonable costs.
That cancellation fee is set out in the Price List

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Tue 12-Feb-13 17:53:25
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, Phil.

XL Telecom will do the phone line on a month by month basis (at 11.99+) (unlike most) and don't charge a cancellation fee. The sales person I spoke to mentioned one of the regular ISPs, indeed one which I have used in the past, but they do annual contract for broadband.

AAISP will do it, but at possibly considerable cost, and even at 32 quid or so, might only have an allowance of 5 GB under their 'units' system. Some other will only take over an existing line, won't do an install...

Really is quite messy, but I did warn the client not to expect change out of 250 quid and seem to have guessed right. (250 for first quarter, and may be locked in for 4 quarters or longer).

---

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Thu 14-Feb-13 10:39:21
Print Post

Zen, IDNet are two other monthly contract options. I hadn't twigged that IDnet do monthly phone rental too so that's an option https://www.idnet.net/data_products/broadband_phone.php or just their broadband. £26.50 for line rental and broadband with 30 GB, another fiver for 100 GB, call options also available. All plus VAT.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ultra
(experienced) Thu 14-Feb-13 11:03:49
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Yes, I checked IDnet, and a couple of others, and some business only services. I was offered a deal of half price for a long term contract with a very popular ISP but in the end, with Openreach likely to be unable to visit until 12/03/13, we decided not to bother with the broadband on the landline.

I will be loaning them a router made by ZTE for Three, into which a Three dongle goes, and provides a mains-powered wired and wireless router using the 3G network for the 'net. It limits some of the uses, so will be used for a little web browsing and e-mail. The kit cost me around 70 quid a year ago, and was in use until October when I ended a 4 year contract (15 GB for 7.50/month before the VAT increase).

Keeping the contract would have allowed for a client to have fuller use of the internet, but as I had expected fibre to be available to me, I was looking at my options and decided to cut the Three service, rather than lock into a further 2 year contract when the instances of clients actually needing an alternative (and Three coverage isn't guaranteed in N Wales or North West, where I'm based)...

With 3 GB prepaid SIMs on Ebay for under 15 quid (previously I'd bought some at 7 or 8 quid, but the bulk of them these days are a lot more costly), it will be a relatively cheap solution when compared with setup and cease costs for ADSL, and their main office has a number of computer online anyway. When the get their intended shop, it will be below their current office, and can be linked very easily!

---

Standard User harrypoter
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 09:45:51
Print Post

if you search for the company for short time broadband you will find many companies for this.According to me Zen provide the short term broadband facility to businesses.
  Print Thread

Jump to