General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stustjohn
(newbie) Sun 24-Feb-13 21:17:07
Print Post

Broadband supply to an outdoor swimming pool...?

[link to this post]

Hi,

This might seem like a really odd question, but I'm writing to ask if anyone has advice on which BB supplier to use for a small outdoor pool that is open from April to September. We are a small community-based charity, so aren't looking for anything at all flashy - in fact, the more basic (and cheaper) the better! At present we have a phone line to the pool kiosk - indispensible during peak season, but largely unused for 6 months of the year! The pool is heated using a heat pump which is currently being modernised after 30 years of sterling service. One of the benefits of updating will be the introduction of telemetry equipment (measuring temperatures, pressures and so forth) but this, of course, will require connection to the net. One of the side-benefits of this will be that we should be able to offer WiFi to our users (those on the the side, not in the pool!) and I am anticipating putting a WiFi unit as some sort of T-connection, so that we can turn WiFi on and off (to coincide with opening times) without disrupting the broadband router that must always stay on.

If anyone has any wise advice, or can point me in the direction of a broadband supplier that might look favourably on a group that only want heavy usage in the daytime for 5 or 6 months of the year, please reply to this message.

Many thanksl, Stuart.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 26-Feb-13 10:16:38
Print Post

Re: Broadband supply to an outdoor swimming pool...?

[re: stustjohn] [link to this post]

Hi,
You could either go for a service that you can turn up and down as needs require.
First thing to know is what exchange you would be connected to.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User stustjohn
(newbie) Tue 26-Feb-13 22:50:13
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Lazonby phone exchange in Cumbria

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 23:35:13
Print Post

Not much there; only ADSL Max. Probably not enough bandwidth to share out on Wi-Fi.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User stustjohn
(newbie) Thu 28-Feb-13 19:55:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The £WiFi usage is of secondary importance. The main reason to have a broadband connection is for the telemetry - so committee members can monitor the equipment states and pool temperature without leaving home! I had thought that the option of people using WiFi while their kids were swimming was a bit of a bonus feature, to be honest. Even if it only allowed e-mail and modest web-browsing for (say) 5 people at a time, it would be a significant step forward...

So, to reframe the original question: Being as we have a phone line already, what is the cheapest way to get broadband for 6 months of every year?

Regards,

Stuart.
Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Fri 01-Mar-13 10:45:18
Print Post

I would suggest that you look at an option that allows you to reduce your charges (Which means bandwidth) for the 6 months you are not using the pool as disconnecting and reconnecting will cost you more than paying for the service during the 'off season'.

You can then decide if you want to offer wi-fi to your customers during the peak season and increase your bandwidth allowance during these 6 months to accommodate before dropping it again for the winter. You might find making a small charge for the use of the wi-fi contributes towards your off season costs. We will happily let you change your package up and down with just 30 days notice so flexing your costs to fit your needs would be no problem.

Drop me a PM if you would like me to knock some prices together.

Drew

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Mar-13 10:50:20
Print Post

BT would be unlimited although it would be a payment the whole year. Might work out cheaper than some of the smaller ISPs though even if they allow you to reduce the price during the 6 months of no time.

Smaller ISPs = little allowances and more money but better support.

Personally I'd be going for BT at this exchange and then you can share out the WiFi as the service can be unlimited at a reasonable cost. Plus no worrying
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 01-Mar-13 10:56:06
Print Post

Being as we have a phone line already, what is the cheapest way to get broadband for 6 months of every year?
PAYG mobile broadband. Telemetry is low bandwidth.

If you're using the landline the cheapest way is to keep it 12 months of the year.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User ccomley
(newbie) Fri 01-Mar-13 11:20:23
Print Post

Easily done.

Your WiFi does not have to be provided by the router, there are many ways to use one or more separate WiFi access points to provide the WIFi, either free or as a "hotspot" that users can buy session time on, and you ca just turn that off whenever you don't want it used. An AP with a directional antenna that you could mount on the side of your plant building pointing at the poolside area may help with coverage.

If you alreayd have the phone line then all you have left to do is pick an ISP (some idea of *how* heavily you expect your pool-side users to use it during the day would help here) and choose an access point or points.
  Print Thread

Jump to