General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-May-13 22:50:26
Print Post

Home Worker Service

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I need a service for my home office, I work from home 5 days a week. The home office line is not a business line, it has no need to be as it is there for data only.

Usage is variable however I ideally don't want a limited service, alternately a fairly respectable limit is important. On occasion I will need to download and them upload multi-GB core files.

Usage is, obviously, mostly 8am-5pm.

Traffic shaping isn't a major issue.

I require a service that has FTTC available. I will not be taking FTTC yet as cabinet not enabled but it will be required in the future.

The exchange has all the major LLU operators available.

The temptation is obviously to go with a residential line to go with the standard home line and load balance them, but I would really prefer a decent business service for the sake of good support.

I do not want a broadband service bundled with a line rental / calls package.

Any and all thoughts welcome. I am leaning towards another residential package, on a different network from the other home line, bonded together with this as I'm struggling to find an appropriate package.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 07-May-13 00:03:17
Print Post

Re: Home Worker Service

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

So you want ADSL from an ISP that offers FTTC but you'll be using ADSL to start with.
The phone line already exists and is to be a separate contract.

You didn't mention budget, so how about

http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadband/business-bro...
https://www.idnet.net/data_products/adsl2plus.php

where upstream isn't metered. The weakest link - the copper line - won't be on enhanced levels of support so I'm not clear of the advantage of a business package.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-May-13 20:30:42
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
where upstream isn't metered. The weakest link - the copper line - won't be on enhanced levels of support so I'm not clear of the advantage of a business package.

I want to avoid spending days rebooting stuff and trying to convince the Bangalore Allstars that it's the Openreach network not my PC / router / sunspots / karma / feng shui causing issues if they occur, Phil.

Thank you.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Tue 07-May-13 20:31:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 07-May-13 21:01:48
Print Post

Vodafone fixed line broadband (runs over C&W LLU) and Talktalk business LLU broadband might be worth considering. Both have unlimited usage, no traffic shaping, decent UK based support and don't cost an arm and a leg.
http://www.vodafone.co.uk/business/shop/phones-and-p...
http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 08:46:04
Print Post

I want to avoid spending days rebooting stuff and trying to convince the Bangalore Allstars that it's the Openreach network not my PC / router / sunspots / karma / feng shui causing issues if they occur

Would A and A fit the bill. Top grade support, business packages, and can do the FTTC upgrade as and when.
Expensive, but then you only get what you pay for in this life.

(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 11:46:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Hiya,

Potentially. Business service is the key thing as of course I don't get taxed on business broadband providings whereas if I expense a resi service I get to pay Gideon 40%.

Cheers dude, also doubly thanks for reminding me I need to prod the usual suspects over FTTC, long story, not going to discuss in public else Openreach will break my fingers to stop me typing again laugh

C
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Jul-13 22:23:29
Print Post

Just to update this a bit the list of options for an FTTC service have been reduced somewhat as the 'main' residential line in the property is being moved to BT Wholesale and I do not want to have both circuits over BTW for obvious resiliency reasons. Drop to L2S I can't do anything about, from there on I can.
  Print Thread

Jump to