General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 02-Jan-15 21:50:42
Print Post

Re: Community Hall Wi-fi broadband installation

[re: RussellR] [link to this post]

Payphone will be okay then as the checker would flag up if it was using 'meter pulsing' signalling which is an incompatible product.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 02-Jan-15 22:27:14
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Get shot of the Payphone for starters; with unlimited call plans available it becomes unnecessary luxury, Bar calls outside the plan. An alarm presumably means "Red Care"; no problem there as it will happily co-exist with ADSL or FTTC. Have wired wireless access points using Ethernet over power if necessary, Get a decent router like the Draytek 2830vN for a whole range of configuration options where you could have the option to use VoIP as well without any special phones. Issue sorted.
Standard User RussellR
(newbie) Fri 02-Jan-15 23:21:30
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Useful to know about the router - but we would certainly need to recable the phone socket (when we had a fault last year the BT engineer was less than complimentary about the way 'somebody' had connected an extension to move our payphone).
And of course neither are close to a power socket!

Shame that you are not local to use.

Thanks

Russell

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 04-Jan-15 07:56:05
Print Post

To enlarge on the suggestion of testing with a router, inSSIDer etc, I suggest that instead for the convenience of not needing Mains, you load inSSIDer 2 on one laptop or netbook; and Connectify on another laptop, their batteries giving you greater freedom to roam around etc, testing different locations.

-------------------------------

I find inSSIDer 2 more convenient than later versions.

If I remember correctly, the free version of Connectify switches OFF after about 30 minutes; but is readily restarted.

I suspect that given that 5 GHz Wi Fi is still not too common, you should concentrate on 2.4 GHz as giving generally better penetration and coverage.

When I tested around my house, garden etc, 5 GHz was generally 10 db worse/lower than 2.4 GHz, the source being an EE Brightbox 2, so a "regular" Wi Fi source, in its normal working location..
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Jan-16 22:53:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by RussellR:
Although the Hall has been in place since 1926, Royal Mail do not have us on their database so I can't use the address checker (I've asked them to look into this).

I am the Chair of a Charity's management committee and had the same problem with the attached caretaker's house. Both hall and house built in late half 1800s.

To get onto Royal Mail's database, you need to contact the planning department at your local council. They do this sort of thing all the time, from new developments to where flats have been made within existing properties. In theory an easy job, but took us ages. I am also a County Councillor - which may have been the reason... wink

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Andrews & Arnold Data SIM
HUAWEI E5776
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 21-Jan-16 10:29:02
Print Post

It would be interesting to know what has happened over the past year - any progress?
Standard User webmcs
(newbie) Thu 28-Jan-16 15:53:05
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

vivacity is awesome service provider
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to