General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User craighisp
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 01:07:29
Print Post

Gigabit leased line for non-profit / community - Quotes?

[link to this post]

Hi all

My local community of about 20 homes in semi-rural Scotland currently lives in a "not spot", receiving a max of 0.5Mbps ADSL over copper with low probability of obtaining fibre in the future. We are about 5km from the nearest exchange, and 1km from our cabinet.

With the recent halt of the BDUK scheme, I've begun exploring the possibility of creating a community-funded, non-profit, self-run ISP and deploying reliable connections to each household in the area.

However, the initial quotes I've received for a gigabit leased line from the usual major providers have been too high to self-fund, even if all householders paid a share.

Are there any grants or funding schemes which help communities with internet access? I've Googled, and contacted the council, without success.

Alternatively, are there leased line providers who may be cheaper than the usual players?

Thank you.
Standard User Drew_M
(regular) Sat 19-Dec-15 07:13:16
Print Post

Re: Gigabit leased line for non-profit / community - Quotes?

[re: craighisp] [link to this post]

Hi

If you could PM me the postcode of where you would like this circuit installed I'll happily see what we can do. I can't promise but I have a couple of cunning ideas that might help.

Drew

Standard User craski
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 07:26:54
Print Post

You might want to explore using cheaper back haul. A lot of the Community / small Wireless ISPs use business grade FTTC/VDSL lines and bond / load share them. For 20 users, you wont *need* anything like a gigabit back haul.

Search for Digital Scotlands "Community Broadband Scotland" to get you started.
There are some case studies on their website that are quite inspiring.
Downside is they lack resources and takes a long time to even get started.

If you do some investigation you may find you dont need need the delay/help if you have enough enthusiastic people to make this work.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User craski
(newbie) Sat 19-Dec-15 07:30:08
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Check this website out too ...
http://www.tegola.org.uk/

Somebody posted it recently in another thread and I bookmarked it, it has some great info to get you started.
Standard User gah789
(member) Sat 19-Dec-15 09:18:45
Print Post

Where do you live? I work with the people who set up the (now former) Tegola project through a cooperative with the acronym HUBS. We are developing backhaul links in parts of Scotland that communities can connect to. Even if HUBS could not help, there is a larger group of community-based networks which might be able to help.

As a previous poster observed you do not need anything close to 1 Gbps for 20 people. In practice, 50 Mbps will be a huge improvement over what you have got. You could start with a wireless link to a BT FTTC or Virgin cable line and develop from there. There are examples in southern and central Scotland that you can follow and learn from.

You can send me a private message if you would like to follow this up.
Standard User Icaras
(committed) Sat 19-Dec-15 10:31:37
Print Post

[re: craski] [link to this post]

Sure but the cabinet where he is has no VDSL so he'd need access to premises within the surrounding area that does
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Sat 19-Dec-15 14:17:10
Print Post

Craig

As GAH says you do not need a Gigabit line for only 20 homes.

For 20 homes the best ( Cheapest / Easiest) suggestions I have seen are through wireless

For starters:
1. You need to know how far you are from a VDSL enabled cab.

2. You need to have line of site ( During the summer when there are leaves on trees!) from all the houses to a point (3.) that has line of site to a site (4.) within 100m of the cab with VDSL.

5. Both points 3. and 4. need to have access to mains power..

5. You need permission at sites 3. & 4 to erect a ( small tower aerial )

(If 3 and 4 are the same site it is very simple/cheap.)

IF you can get all the above you ( or contract someone else to) can provide a simple Radio distribution linked to one or two FTTC lines at site 3. Single hop line of sight 3. to 4. then distribution to the 20 houses as required.

This would give 70 / 20 or 140 / 40 service shared between you all at a reasonable price.

If you have only a few of the houses to start with you design for 2 FTTC lines but only provide 1.

An altenative is to provide your own fible from site 3 to site 4 if you have the skills to trench / duct it in.

Some of the cost can be reclaimed by subsidy from the (Scottish) Govn if they haven't used it all. Or by the inferred next scheme to give everyone 2Mb ( 10Mb at some point).

IF you can provide your own fibre route to the hamlet there is also a potential to talk to Openreach aboit their community scheme and they may provide VFAST to you. This is worth a talk but may take a little while to come together as Vfast is still under trial but seems perfect for your situation.
Standard User craighisp
(newbie) Sun 20-Dec-15 02:52:02
Print Post

@Drew_M
Thanks, I'll PM you now.

@craski/@gah789
I'm in East Ayrshire. The HUBS projects looks great and I'll definitely investigate it. I've considered a wireless link, but thanks to some very tall tree lines, I've not found a suitable location with line of sight. Bridging two locations via a midpoint might be possible, but I'd still need to purchase a business connection at the endpoint and I don't know anyone who lives in a fibre-enabled area to approach about being my "host".

@kitcat
The wireless option is definitely something I've been considering. As above, I've had difficulty finding suitable endpoints or midpoints. The entire "viewshed" of the area is countryside, with presumably no access to fibre. So I'd have to set up a relay/midpoint, and then find someone/somewhere with access to FTTC/FTTP willing to host my endpoint.

You mention finding an endpoint that's within 100m of a cabinet. If I found such a location, how would I actually connect to the cabinet? Would I have to purchase a business connection in my name, but using the landowner's address? What if the landowner moves away/etc.?

That's why I thought installing a leased line might be the better approach.

Edited by craighisp (Sun 20-Dec-15 02:55:42)

Print Thread

Jump to