General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User j314
(learned) Wed 14-Feb-18 01:58:42
Print Post

(Working from home) Virgin Business vs FTTC?

[link to this post]

I work from home (sole trader); I have FTTP right now but plan to move. Target address is not 100% certain yet but is very likely to have both decent Openreach FTTC and Virgin HFC available. I don't need a static IP so the current issues surrounding that don't apply to me.

Pros for Virgin/HFC:
* 300/350Mbit down
* 12 hour fix time available at a good price (this seems like quite a big deal to me)

Either/or:
* Both are 20Mbit up

Pros for Openreach/VDSL:
* Latency likely to be lower and more stable
* Does not suffer from localised oversubscription/peak time congestion in quite the same way Virgin apparently does

Which would you go for in my place?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Feb-18 12:20:02
Print Post

Re: (Working from home) Virgin Business vs FTTC?

[re: j314] [link to this post]

As someone who works from home, one of each.

But if moving today I would make a FTTP property the priority when searching

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j314
(learned) Wed 14-Feb-18 14:10:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Both good points! Would still be interested in preferences for one over the other though (I would have a 3G/LTE backup).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Feb-18 14:27:54
Print Post

If you download large amounts of data then the Virgin Media
If you take the fastest Virgin option, then upload should be similar to FTTC.
FTTC a lot will depend on the location, i.e. speeds possible
Cable a lot will depend on the location i.e. congestion levels and the hours of business

Best advise order both for install as soon as possible in new property and run both for a while before making a decision on what they give you. I'd be tempted to leave both in place, since the fall back to 3G/4G is usually a lot more painful than flipping between fixed line services in the same premise and leave the 3G/4G to the powercut at premises scenario

Two connections also means you can do things like massive multi GB uploads on one line, leaving the other free for all the day to day business. Or an important Skye video call will not pixelate due to a large email arriving

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dewi
(regular) Wed 14-Feb-18 15:39:37
Print Post

When I ran a small business, I started with a Virgin Business fibre connection provided by my landlord. I found the throughput to be variable and I didnít find their technical support to be of much use. When I had a problem, the first question they asked was which router I was using. When I told them I had a SonicWall firewall appliance (necessary to set up a VPN connection to our other offices), they told me they didnít support that device and refused to discuss the problem any further. I thought this was pretty poor for a business service.

When FTTC became available, I switched to Zen. I found their service much more consistent and their technical support was excellent. When I had a problem, they told me they didnít directly support SonicWall, but if I knew my way around the GUI, theyíd tell me which settings to check.

The 12 hour fix time is well worth having. I paid for Critical Care from Zen. One day, I got into the office to find the Internet was down. I phoned Zen technical support. They diagnosed a fault between my premises and the exchange, phoned Openreach, and told me that an Openreach appointment had been made for the next day. I pointed out I had Critical Care. The tech support person apologised, phoned Openreach back, and told me that an Openreach engineer was on his way, and would be with me within an hour.

Given the choice between 350 Mbps Virgin fibre or 80 Mbps FTTC, Iíd probably risk Virgin for home use. For business use, Iíd got for FTTC from someone like Zen or AAISP every time.

Having got used to FTTP at home, Iíd be reluctant to move anywhere that didnít have FTTP!
Standard User TribeTelecom
(newbie) Wed 11-Apr-18 09:43:16
Print Post

One of each seems a little excessive for an @ home worker.
What's the advantage?
And is it worth the added expense.

Mobile | Fixed | Data
Tribe Telecom
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Apr-18 10:49:58
Print Post

[re: TribeTelecom] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TribeTelecom:
One of each seems a little excessive for an @ home worker.
What's the advantage?
And is it worth the added expense.
The advantages are stated above.

And yes, it is worth the expense for anyone who needs an always-on connection.

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem
Standard User markieb
(newbie) Wed 11-Apr-18 12:38:32
Print Post

Take it from someone who has had Virgin Cable Business 350/20 for just over a year.
Stay well away from their fixed IP option.....It's HORRIBLE and getting worse.
The supposed recent fixes released for this appaling service seems to have made things even worse.
Others who have dropped the fixed IP option on their lines claim the line reliability is like day and night after.
Their fixed IP kills your speed, causes timeouts on browsing and the latency sucks, and single thread speed tests are normally areound half the line speed for me.
My 80/20 FTTC out performs it hands down and has actually had to become my main connection because the Virgin is so unreliable.
Standard User DanHC
(newbie) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:10:30
Print Post

[re: dewi] [link to this post]

Another advocate for being a Zen customer.. 8 years and no issues with their FTTC service, one of my pals/ex colleagues also lives in my road also is a Zen customer, same experiences, solid, reliable and decent service.. I WFH quite regularly as an IT engineer/techy, wouldn't swap Zen for anything else, not even VM business. i don't exceed my AUP and 45down/16 up is fine for me.. Also have other pals i've recommended to use Zen, never an issue.

In reply to a post by dewi:
When I ran a small business, I started with a Virgin Business fibre connection provided by my landlord. I found the throughput to be variable and I didnít find their technical support to be of much use. When I had a problem, the first question they asked was which router I was using. When I told them I had a SonicWall firewall appliance (necessary to set up a VPN connection to our other offices), they told me they didnít support that device and refused to discuss the problem any further. I thought this was pretty poor for a business service.

When FTTC became available, I switched to Zen. I found their service much more consistent and their technical support was excellent. When I had a problem, they told me they didnít directly support SonicWall, but if I knew my way around the GUI, theyíd tell me which settings to check.

The 12 hour fix time is well worth having. I paid for Critical Care from Zen. One day, I got into the office to find the Internet was down. I phoned Zen technical support. They diagnosed a fault between my premises and the exchange, phoned Openreach, and told me that an Openreach appointment had been made for the next day. I pointed out I had Critical Care. The tech support person apologised, phoned Openreach back, and told me that an Openreach engineer was on his way, and would be with me within an hour.

Given the choice between 350 Mbps Virgin fibre or 80 Mbps FTTC, Iíd probably risk Virgin for home use. For business use, Iíd got for FTTC from someone like Zen or AAISP every time.

Having got used to FTTP at home, Iíd be reluctant to move anywhere that didnít have FTTP!
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 11-Apr-18 18:49:39
Print Post

[re: DanHC] [link to this post]

My Zen FTTC connection has never been in any doubt. It just works. smile

But, my second (A&A) line has been giving me some trouble, so I was thinking about swapping it for a VM business service.

However, I need a fixed IP address. So, after reading the comments above (and elswhere), it seems like I should stay well away from VM..

Line One:- Zen Fibre 1 - DrayTek Vigor 2860ac
Line Two:- Andrews and Arnold - DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to