General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Business)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DanHC
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-18 12:06:21
Print Post

Re: (Working from home) Virgin Business vs FTTC?

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

I happened to be sat next to the guy who runs A&A, last summer when I was commuting into London, he seemed to be a rather pleasant guy..

In reply to a post by Sandgrounder:
My Zen FTTC connection has never been in any doubt. It just works. smile

But, my second (A&A) line has been giving me some trouble, so I was thinking about swapping it for a VM business service.

However, I need a fixed IP address. So, after reading the comments above (and elswhere), it seems like I should stay well away from VM..
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-May-18 16:18:53
Print Post

[re: j314] [link to this post]

I had Virgin and Talk Talk business FTTC for a while - Virgin went bad in my area - but the FTTC was great so I dumped Virgin - but now they have sorted my area out I still have a backup FTTC line but it gets used much much less than Virgin

Granted I can do (and have done) insane amounts of data on it - and I dread to think what someone on 350mbps could pull in a month, but having both is good should one go down.

Even if it's a cheapo ADSL line - you will be glad you have a second line as you'll need it when you least expect it!
Standard User Adduxi
(newbie) Sun 06-May-18 16:35:50
Print Post

I also use VM and BT for resilience when working from home. It has saved my bacon several times when VM has been offline. I use the Draytek Vigor 2860 Dual WAN router and it's been splendid. The times VM went offline, I didn't even notice. When using VPN into work, it's pretty much seamless and just works.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 06-May-18 18:40:15
Print Post

[re: Adduxi] [link to this post]

I always thought a VPN connection would drop in that situation - but this router does sound good if it keeps it all going smile
Standard User pantone
(learned) Mon 07-May-18 13:12:16
Print Post

My wife and I both worked from home with Virgin's 50, then 100, then 200Mbs consumer (ie not Business) line. It has consistently been faster than advertised, currently 218 down, 12.8 up. We stopped measuring in Mbps and moved to MBs which averages around 26 to 30. We are in the centre of Worthing surrounded by many other Virgin users.

As designers we download and send massive files around the world, a complete book may be in the region of 35GB. We used to run in-house FTP server over dynamic IP when needed until WeTransfer made this unnecessary. At the same time there might be three or four iPhones, a few tablets and maybe a TV or two sharing the line. Apart from the occasional iPlayer buffering glitch at night time when the FA cup or similar is on, we consistently get maximum speed. We haven't needed customer support and have had various routers connected via Cat5 gigabit ethernet, some with drives attached. Our internal powerline network is also attached with wireless access points and CCTV. None slow down our access.

Which is completely different from our experience with BT based services (and C&W) which seldom got more than half advertised speed, mostly much less.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-May-18 14:54:45
Print Post

[re: pantone] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pantone:
My wife and I both worked from home with Virgin's 50, then 100, then 200Mbs consumer (ie not Business) line. It has consistently been faster than advertised, currently 218 down, 12.8 up. We stopped measuring in Mbps and moved to MBs which averages around 26 to 30. We are in the centre of Worthing surrounded by many other Virgin users.

As designers we download and send massive files around the world, a complete book may be in the region of 35GB. We used to run in-house FTP server over dynamic IP when needed until WeTransfer made this unnecessary. At the same time there might be three or four iPhones, a few tablets and maybe a TV or two sharing the line. Apart from the occasional iPlayer buffering glitch at night time when the FA cup or similar is on, we consistently get maximum speed. We haven't needed customer support and have had various routers connected via Cat5 gigabit ethernet, some with drives attached. Our internal powerline network is also attached with wireless access points and CCTV. None slow down our access.

Which is completely different from our experience with BT based services (and C&W) which seldom got more than half advertised speed, mostly much less.

That's all great but just remember the day it foes down and you lose business - you are entitled to £0 as running s business on a res line is against their TOS
Standard User pantone
(learned) Mon 07-May-18 15:18:15
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

That's all great but just remember the day it foes down and you lose business - you are entitled to £0 as running s business on a res line is against their TOS

It's never gone down in all the years we've been with Virgin. Unlike BT which was a perpetual hassle. We had an engineer virtually living with us for a week while he tried to find where the faults were. Always with BT and never in-house.

Before we switched to Virgin I asked for an engineer to visit to show exactly where they would route the cable, test the local service and to discuss Business vs Consumer. It was he who suggested that we wouldn't need Business service as it is exactly the same, all you pay for is the insurance which we have never needed. But that is the nature of insurance, basically you are gambling, you pay your money and take your choice. In our case it has saved us a bundle.
Standard User 23Prince
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-May-18 19:55:25
Print Post

Have you seen this deal? I nearly fell off my seat! I am calling up Monday to change to it - I already have 350mbps and it's fantastic!

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/i...

That's [censored] amazing and might suit you down to the ground!
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-May-18 09:25:08
Print Post

[re: 23Prince] [link to this post]

Just in case people don't notice they are business prices and exclude VAT (at least as far as I can tell).
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-May-18 11:10:59
Print Post

Do you need to send large amounts of data with any regularity?

If you do maybe look into whether G.fast is going to be arriving at the new address. VM seem to have lost some interest in increasing their own upload speeds.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to