Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

These posts have been archived and can no longer be replied to or modified.
  Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 04-Jan-10 20:31:07
Print Post

Netgear Router issues:

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Strange one, but i'll crack on.

I have a Netgear DG834G V2 Wireless ADSL Firewall router.

Just after our exchange was upgraded to ADSL2 I started noticing problems, namely

1. During Generlc Internet browsing the PC would loose its internet connection.
2. When this happened I could not even access the router through the admin IP address of 192.168.0.1
3. The connection is lost on both ethernet wired and wireless.
4. If I do online gaming the problem never happens, only with general browsing.
5. Router has the most up to date firmware applied as of today.
6. My main pc had Vista on it and now a retail install of Win 7 Premium, problem occurred on both.
7. Problem occurred on Laptops connecting wirelessly using xp pro (both mine and the better arfs)
8. Have ensured that hibernation has been disabled on both the pc and the network card/ports.
9. All pcs are currently up to date with patches.

So, what in blazes is causing it, is my router up the T*T?

The only way to rectify the problem is to turn of the power to the router wait a while restart and then wait for a while to attempt to browse.

There are no errors in the service logs.

I keep thinking that my router might need upgrading but I don't want to waste any money if theres a possible issue with something else?

Now, assuming the router is faulty what NETGEAR product would be best to use as a more up to date replacement that can handle wired and wireless connections, and does exactly the same as the DG834g above

Many thanks

gunner
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-10 07:32:45
Print Post

Re: Netgear Router issues:

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am having very similar problems with the same router. SamKnows shown my exchange is 21CN enabled but I don't know if it is active yet. About once every couple of days I loose sync (Netgear log) and have to reboot router or just unplug it and reconnect then all OK.

I only get Loss of Sync - the router stats show it is still connected at a good speed. (>5500kbps)

If I complain to my ISP I will just get the usual mantra, "Have I tried connecting to master socket", "Have I disconnected all other devices" etc. - not too practical as the disconnections only occur once every few days.

I have just bought the new Netgear router DGN2000 to see if this fixes problem. I will report back when I have tried it.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DG834G router
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by Nick_Russell (Tue 05-Jan-10 07:49:39)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Jan-10 01:04:09
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

Did it a few mins ago, double checked the services event log it states:

NAME RESOLUTION FOR THE NAME WWW.GOOGLE.CO.UK TIMED OUT AFTER NONE OF THE CONFIGURED dns SERVERS RESPONDED

event id 1014

??

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Wed 06-Jan-10 07:27:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I think this is a temporary problem with the DNS servers you are using (usually they are your ISP's unless you have manually changed them). Netgear has a setting that defaults to DNS of your ISP. I am sure this will only be a short term problem.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DG834G router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Standard User MartinOShea
(newbie) Sun 10-Jan-10 20:25:59
Print Post

Hello

Just to say that I've had the same problem with a new laptop running Windows 7 hardwired to a NetGear DG834G router.

When the problem occurs, the router lights remain active but the laptop looses all network connectivity; rebooting is the only solution. Yet another laptop running Windows XP via the same router is fine.

From what I've found out the problem might be due to the router's (in)compatibility with the newer IPv6 protocol and have been advised to switch this off in Windows 7.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Martin O'Shea.

Edited by MartinOShea (Sun 10-Jan-10 20:27:40)

Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 08:12:31
Print Post

[re: MartinOShea] [link to this post]

I get the same issue - would say unlikely to be DNS related as my issue has been going on since Dec 26th when I set up Win7 PC up.

XP machine is fine (Mrs's PC) until I get up in the morning (after her) or get in from work(XP box on all day) - thing is, both the PC's connection hangs.Router logs report back "Loss of synchronization" just around the time I log in on my Win7 box and can do so again a few times through the evening. I too get the same event log error. Same router, same version.

I just bought a bargain router thanks to the ppl over at HUKD and was going to sell it on...might just try it out see if that helps.

Not checked the netgear support yet to see if they've seen this issue and gotta go to work now.....

Chris
(experienced) Tue 19-Jan-10 09:44:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nick_Russell:
I have just bought the new Netgear router DGN2000 to see if this fixes problem. I will report back when I have tried it.

I bought a Netgear router DGN2000 but then discovered a new version, DGND3300, so I returned the DGN2000.

The new router seems very good. Connects faster than my old DG834G and so far no Loss of Sync or disconnections. Set-up was a dream - very easy.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by Nick_Russell (Tue 19-Jan-10 13:20:33)

Standard User Grimmers
(newbie) Tue 19-Jan-10 12:43:17
Print Post

A friend of mine had this issue, he resolved it by disabling IPv6 on the Network Card settings - saves buying a new router.

Not really an option though if you need IPv6. But will work as a short term solution til a newer router can be procured.

I will try this tonight and report back....
  Print Thread

Jump to