Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LucBorg
(experienced) Thu 11-Feb-10 20:58:46
Print Post

Website loading

[link to this post]

Hi all,

This is a problem that's been annoying me a lot recently.

I start my PC (Vista), and when I load up my browser (ie, firefox, chrome) the homepage will just not load. Sometimes it might, but often I have to press refresh to get it to appear.

The same thing happens with loading webpages. The progress bar will come to about 1/3 green and the little circle at the top of the tab will just keep spinning, but the page is just blank.

If I hit f5 or ctrl-f5 then it may appear but it will take a few tries before this happens.

I didn't notice it when I first got the PC (1 year old) but over the last few months it's become really really irritating.

I have tried disabling ipv6 (which really helped things, but everything went back to being slow after the next restart). I have also tried disabling the firewall, and have even tried changing my antivirus - which also seemed to help for a bit but its back to normal again. Turning off the antivirus also has no effect. I have also fiddled with MTU settings but all to no avail

I'm on a home network, and all the other PC's are with XP with no problem like this whatsoever! It's as if I've gone back to 56k or 33k - in fact I didn't have this problem even then with win95!!!

Gaming works fine, streaming video/music also fine, as well as downloads e.g. ubuntu - the ubuntu pc also works great.

What is going on here? It is really annoying!

Thanks in advance for any help, which would be very very much appreciated!

Sincerely,

Luc

on

PIPEX
Whoosh Club member
The PIPEX 622 Squadron
Standard User zhugeliang
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-10 00:16:43
Print Post

Re: Website loading

[re: LucBorg] [link to this post]

do you still have the same issue by connecting this computer directly through your modem and bypassing your home network?
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-10 01:58:35
Print Post

Pipex seem to be having a lot of problems lately and I wonder if this is related. Try a change of DNS maybe as a test?

Edited by Deadbeat (Fri 12-Feb-10 02:01:36)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 12-Feb-10 03:08:23
Print Post

Does the problem affect both browsers equally? If not...

It *might* just be an issue with plugins - I know how to disable these in Internet Explorer but not in the browsers you mention. It might be worth disabling them all (things like the Skype plug in that underlines phone numbers, MS Money sidebar and so forth) and seeing if one of those is responsible.

Otherwise, echo the comments about DNS.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-10 10:33:39
Print Post

This is a problem that many Tiscali customers (Which you are) who have been transferred to the TalkTalk network (Which you may have been) are suffering. As far as I know, there is no widely available official resolution.
Standard User LucBorg
(experienced) Fri 12-Feb-10 10:43:04
Print Post

[re: zhugeliang] [link to this post]

Hi all thanks for the ideas.

One thing I could try is updating the router firmware but I don't know if everything will get messed up if I do that.

I'm actually on O2 rather than piscalex, in any case it seems specific to this vista pc. I have tried other routers but the same thing happens.

Even my android phone connects to the network and browses without this issue!

I read somewhere once that the netgear firmware needs to be updated for connecting a vista pc, maybe I should do that?

Is there a way to backup the firmware of your router so that if something goes wrong I can reset it back to how it is?

Luc

on

PIPEX
Whoosh Club member
The PIPEX 622 Squadron
Standard User Spasch
(experienced) Fri 12-Feb-10 10:45:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by LucBorg:
I read somewhere once that the netgear firmware needs to be updated for connecting a vista pc, maybe I should do that?

Is there a way to backup the firmware of your router so that if something goes wrong I can reset it back to how it is?
There is an option on the Netgear to backup the current firmware.. IIRC, it's on the same page as the firmware update utility..
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Feb-10 13:11:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by LucBorg:
.... I'm actually on O2 rather than piscalex....

Sig update time perhaps? wink

Before flashing firmware etc, if you want to post an HJT logfile, I'll have a look at it for you. It may throw up some clues.
Standard User zhugeliang
(newbie) Fri 12-Feb-10 15:16:53
Print Post

Have you tried deleting your arp cache on this PC?

open up a command prompt with admin privileges and type the following

netsh interface ip delete arpcache
Standard User LucBorg
(experienced) Sat 13-Feb-10 01:08:44
Print Post

[re: zhugeliang] [link to this post]

Errm what is arp cache?

Sounds a bit scary to delete it. crazy

Luc

on

PIPEX