Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 03-Dec-10 17:13:50
Print Post

The ever-annoying MS Word hyphen

[link to this post]

Can anyone explain to me why sometimes the hyphen is long, and sometimes short? For years now, and still it occasioanlly produces a mix of the two in any given list.

mad

Standard User AEP
(experienced) Fri 03-Dec-10 17:39:41
Print Post

Re: The ever-annoying MS Word hyphen

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

A long "hyphen" is normally an en rule, as in 1996-1998, or an em rule - which is what that last one should be.
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Dec-10 17:42:14
Print Post

In English grammar there are two dashes, the en-dash and the em-dash. There's also the hyphen.

This may be a helpful link.

As far as Word is concerned, the default is that it will lengthen a hyphen if it is surrounded by spaces, otherwise leave it as is. This can be turned off in the auto-correction dialog.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Fri 03-Dec-10 17:43:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Fri 03-Dec-10 19:26:16
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Strangely though, sometimes it doesn't lengthen it, even if surrounded by spaces. That's the issue. I will settle for either, but not both, and would like MS Word to be consistent in that sense.

I've disabled the autocorrection option you mentioned, and will see how things go. Ta very much!

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Dec-10 18:30:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Can anyone explain to me why sometimes the hyphen is long, and sometimes short? For years now, and still it occasioanlly produces a mix of the two in any given list.

mad
There's a lot about Word that is inexplicable.

When you mark a paragraph why does it include the style information for the following text?
Ie;You mark the last paragraph in a section, hit delete and the following section heading becomes normal text.

Mind you - Word isn't a patch on Excel for sheer stupidity. I loathe Excel.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 10-Mar-11 12:36:39
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Glad I'm not the only one with the problem. I thought it was my limited understanding preventing me using the thng correctly. I have coped with the problem by using the minus key instead. Pressing it gives a short hyphen, holding down Ctrl and pressing it, the longer
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Mar-11 00:15:30
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

There is generally a logic to it - perhaps not the logic you want though!

Word has always effectively stored paragraph info inside the, normally invisible, paragraph mark (with document info inside the last paragraph mark). It has to keep it somewhere linked to the text. The best way to make word more predictable is to take the time to get to grips with paragraph styles which lets you set rules about what happens when you start a new paragraph.

The way Word handles en & em dashes does have a consistency about it too. an en (short) will be turned into an em (long) dash when it has a space each side after you type the next word followed by another space or a punctuation mark. You have to be careful if editing text not to forget that, if you want to add a word after the dash, and you want it to turn into an em dash, you need to type a space (or punctuation) after even if you immediately delete it.

Out of interest, what do you find so stupid about Excel? Maybe I've just used it for too long to notice. laugh Just don't get me started about Publisher!! wink

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Mar-11 08:01:12
Print Post

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

The most annoying things with excel
If you input a date in a1 and you want to have a row of the same date, you cannot drag the date down the column unless you want it to add a day onto that date.
ie 1/1/11 becomes 2/1/11 etc.
and if you delete data in a total box, i.e sum=a1:a10, you get nothing as you delete that as well!!! groan.

Steve

o2 Premium
Peak download 15.24MiB/s
Peak upload 905 KiB/s
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Mar-11 08:50:51
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blfamily:
If you input a date in a1 and you want to have a row of the same date, you cannot drag the date down the column unless you want it to add a day onto that date.
Just hit Ctrl+D while it's all highlighted - does a Fill Down.

Edit: Another - better? - way is to drag down with the right mouse button and click Copy Cells on the context menu that pops up.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Tue 15-Mar-11 09:28:31)

Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Tue 15-Mar-11 09:25:42
Print Post

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blfamily:

...or fill same date in two cells e.g. 1/1/11in A1, 1/1/11in A2. Highlight both cells and then you can copy/drag down.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to