Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 07-Jan-11 17:51:33
Print Post

No ethernet or wireless after reinstalling Vista!

[link to this post]

Afternoon all,

I've been given a Medion S5610 Laptop to fix. It had Vista recently reinstalled & whilst it's running fine, I have no ethernet or wireless capabilities. If I go to Device Manager, there is no listing for a wireless NIC at all. I also get the following errors on the following devices:

- Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) > "This device cannot start (Code 10)"
- Standard VGA Adapter > "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

FYI, I also get these errors, though I'm unsure how 'essential' these devices are:

- Fingerprint sensor > "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"
- Network Controller > "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"
- SM Bus Controller > "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)"

FWIW, I have a "Medion Recovery Disc/Windows Vista Home Premium SP1" DVD that came with it.

Hope you can help! Thanks in advance, Ben.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Jan-11 18:07:32
Print Post

Re: No ethernet or wireless after reinstalling Vista!

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What is most likely the cause is that the drivers are not installed for the devices for whatever reason.

You need to install the drivers for the devices.

If you insert the Medion Recovery DVD you may be able to install the drivers from the disk, you can often do this two ways.

Navigate the disk and find the drivers folder and run the installers
In device manager, right click the problem devices, select "Update driver", and follow the wizard and point it to the relevant drivers in on the DVD.

However most usually the case is that the drivers are compressed in some form on the DVD and you can't actually get at them properly without either doing a full recovery from the DVD or booting from the DVD and running the specific recovery, it may offer you a choice to do a partial OS recovery and leave user files intact, or it may only offer a full destructive recovery back to factory settings.

I am not familiar with the Medion discs inparticular.

If there is no data on there that you need, or you can back it up, and then reinstall needed programs, I would be tempted to use the medion recovery DVD and restore it back to original factory condition, it should then install all the drivers correctly.

(newbie) Sat 08-Jan-11 07:55:17
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Have a look here for the driver.
http://www.medion.com/gb/service/start/_product.php?...

HTH
Peter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Jan-11 18:08:41
Print Post

[re: understress] [link to this post]

Many thanks guys, for some reason I didn't even think of trying the Medion website crazy

Anyway, all sorted now. I downloaded all (8) of the Vista-relevant drivers Peter linked to onto an external HDD & then extracted them across to the internal HDD. Then I just clicked "Update Driver" for each item in Device Manager & pointed it to the relevant folder. Job done!

Thanks again, Ben smile
  Print Thread

Jump to