Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Feb-11 17:19:27
Print Post

Unwanted shared contacts list

[link to this post]

Using Windows Mail on a laptop, and Live Mail on a desktop in different premises. Both computers are on different ISP's (not sure if this is relevant). The laptop personal email addresses are POP3 and has a contacts list on that machine. I also have an IMAP mail address that I monitor for a local business which doesn't have a contacts list, well it doesn't on the actual machine.

The desktop using Live Mail has one email address only, IMAP, the same as that mentioned above. I was writing an email last night on the desktop, and when I clicked the "To" button on Live Mail, it brought up the contacts list from the laptop. Obviously this isn't what I expected to happen.

So, how do I keep access to both accounts, yet restrict the contacts list on the laptop just to the laptop?
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Thu 03-Feb-11 20:10:03
Print Post

Re: Unwanted shared contacts list

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Just some clarification (I think this is correct)...

Windows Mail - Client only with Windows Vista

Windows Live Mail - new client for Windows 7

Windows Live Hotmail - new Hotmail (not a client).

I think if you install Windows Live Mail it will copy contacts (but not sync) contacts from Windows Mail. So it looks like sometime Windows Live Mail was installed on the same machine as Windows Mail, so when Windows Live mail was accessed from another machine the contacts from Windows Mail were visible.

Possible explanation?

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3
Standard User ianXX
(experienced) Thu 03-Feb-11 21:56:36
Print Post

Check your logged-in status in Windows Live Mail - the right hand icon on the WLM toolbar.

If you are logged in, WLM synchronises your contacts with your Hotmail contacts (the contacts you see when you log in to Hotmail online). I presume Windows Mail on your laptop will do the same.

This could lead to some lost contacts if the syncing doesn't sync properly - happened to me !

Ian

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Feb-11 22:14:23
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

So it looks like sometime Windows Live Mail was installed on the same machine as Windows Mail.
Yes, both were installed on the laptop for a short time. Have never used Live Hotmail. Live Mail was uninstalled from the laptop and the IMAP account set up in Windows Mail (Vista).

Would I be right in thinking that if I deleted the contacts list in the WLM on the W7 Desktop that that should suffice. Or, do I need to remove the IMAP account from Windows Mail on the laptop as well?
Standard User Nick_Russell
(experienced) Thu 03-Feb-11 23:12:11
Print Post

Yes I believe that is correct. The contacts are only copied when program is installed, they are not synchronised so you should be able to delete contacts from either and they won't reappear.

No need to do anything about IMAP accounts as contacts (address books) are stored separately.

Nick

Plusnet Plusnet Pro 21CN Netgear DGND3300v2 router
Windows XP Pro SP3

Edited by Nick_Russell (Thu 03-Feb-11 23:15:37)

Standard User wingco1
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Feb-11 11:34:45
Print Post

[re: Nick_Russell] [link to this post]

Thanks Nick.
  Print Thread

Jump to