Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User postieboy
(experienced) Thu 10-Feb-11 23:17:43
Print Post

Sata Hard Drive

[link to this post]

I want to activate the " “Enable advanced performance " in windows 7 for my Sata Samsung F3 but don't have the option listed in the Properties Policies.
The only options under write-caching policy is " enable write caching on the device " and " turn off windows write-caching buffer on the device ".
I am sure I have come across this before but can't remember what to do,is it a setting in the Bios to show the other 2 options?Any ideas?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 11-Feb-11 00:44:17
Print Post

Re: Sata Hard Drive

[re: postieboy] [link to this post]

Does this help ?
Standard User postieboy
(experienced) Fri 11-Feb-11 01:27:22
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

No not really as thats the device property box I cant get,but thanks anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IanBB
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 02:53:47
Print Post

I think the BIOS option you are looking for is enabling NCQ (Native Command Queueing)

Could be near or related to the IDE/AHCI settings for the drive mode.

Bear in mind changing these settings may cause Windows to play silly beggars on startup.
Standard User 4M2
(member) Fri 11-Feb-11 03:24:09
Print Post

Generally I think you have those options if "safely remove hardware" is enabled with, for example, a usb connected removable drive formatted NTFS.
Standard User IanBB
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 04:44:22
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Different options show up for USB drives as can be seen from the screenshot below

http://i55.tinypic.com/2h56t0m.jpg
Standard User everhopeful
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Feb-11 08:05:47
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

You could try downloading 'Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager', this has an 'enable SATA disk advanced function to improve performance' button, which I would imagine would do the same thing. This software comes with a 15 day free trial.
Standard User postieboy
(experienced) Fri 11-Feb-11 21:43:16
Print Post

[re: everhopeful] [link to this post]

Oh why didn't I leave well alone!I had done a fresh reinstall of W7 2 days ago as well LOL,I tried changing IDE in the Bios to AHCI and it wouldn't start up kept rebooting every time it tried to start windows.Changed it back to IDE and was ok again.Tried the Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager and the only thing i did was enable SATA disk advanced function and rebooted as requested but it slowed my start up right down and when it was started up.Uninstalled it and had to do a system restore its quicker now but not as quick starting as before,whole system from start up to actual use even web pages is slower.

Maybe the advance performance isn't available for my hard drive,Samsung HD502HJ Spinpoint F3 and Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H chipset anyway.As already said different options come up for different hard drives anyway.
  Print Thread

Jump to