Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(committed) Thu 03-Mar-11 10:49:09
Print Post

Pros & Cons of installing MS Silverlight for Windows 7??

[link to this post]

I have W7 Home installed in my HP's laptop with 2GB RAMs and AMD Dual core. Recently I have been reminded through MS update that I could choose to install their "Silverlight" update in my laptop. I have been reading briefly on the MS Site about the Silverlight features and vaguely know what it is. However I have no ideas whether it would slow down or/and have other ill effects on my laptop IF I chose to install it, and if I might to beef up my laptop (such as increased its memory or graphic capability) prior to installing it. Besides, I have very limited HD capability (such as NO HDMI and Blue-Ray) in my current laptop! Therefore is it really worth this possible troubles at all for me???

Thank you for your comments in advance.

P.S: The same comments may apply for installing MS's Windows 7 SP1 as I been thinking of its possible "cons" prior to its installation as well.

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows XP Pro

O2 Standard ADSL2+ Broadband!
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 11:00:59
Print Post

Re: Pros & Cons of installing MS Silverlight for Windows 7??

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

IMO, you only need Silverlight if you browse sites (or have web apps) that use it.

SP1 is a good install - on my laptop, the used RAM after booting dropped by around 200Mb (admittedly, it has 4GB so I wasn't particularly worried about RDM usage pre SP1)..
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 11:24:40
Print Post

It's Micro$oft's equivalent to Flash. If you access a site that needs it, it will offer to install it.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:42:56
Print Post

i got it on my computer, but I don't think it have been used. Silverlight was going to be the replacement for Flash, or that is how Microsoft saw it, but it failed.

Why do people still put $ in the spelling of Microsoft and Sky still? seems a bit childish to me.
they are companies, they are there to make money, if they don't make money they will cease to be simple as that and then where will we be?

I would not miss Sky, but I think the world would miss Microsoft, how ever much you like or dislike them.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:44:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
i got it on my computer, but I don't think it have been used. Silverlight was going to be the replacement for Flash, or that is how Microsoft saw it, but it failed.

Why do people still put $ in the spelling of Microsoft and Sky still? seems a bit childish to me.
Why do people simply repeat other people's posts adding no new information?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:46:26
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Silverlight was going to be the replacement for Flash.

Thought you'd like to know.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:51:07
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Silverlight is used by Eurosport Player and by netflix.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:53:14
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

You missed the $ sign

Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Thu 03-Mar-11 13:56:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry, I'm British and deal in £.

$ don't flash (lol) before my eyes.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Mar-11 15:04:48
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:

they are companies, they are there to make money, if they don't make money they will cease to be simple as that and then where will we be?

I would not miss Sky, but I think the world would miss Microsoft, how ever much you like or dislike them.

windows is still reasonable value for money, as microsoft have yet to copy what others do and charge annual subscriptions for updates so because of that its good value, eg. XP lasted for about 10 years for its price.

Technet was brilliant value till microsoft nerfed it, even the nerfed version is good value tho and especially if you also want office.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to