Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 16:53:29
Print Post

Which Windows 7?

[link to this post]

Currently running XP Pro and XP Home on my two PCs. At some stage in the not too distant future I'll need to move to Windows 7. Looking at the various versions there seem to be two relevant ones, each with an N variant.

It seems ot be a question of W7 Home Premium or Professional, can't see any point in Ultimate.

I connect the two PCs to permit file & printer sharing and file synchronisation, I use IIS on the XP Pro PC for web site testing. I'm not interested in gaming, in streaming data explicitly, in watching TV on-line. Unsure about XP mode, whether it'll be relevant or not. Again not sure of the benefits of being able to back up to a home network.

Then there are the N variants of each of the versions. Again. not sure of the pros and cons of that feature, just says it makes it easy to create a home network.

Thoughts appreciated.

Tony
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 17:13:10
Print Post

Re: Which Windows 7?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I think the N versions come without Windows Media Player.

XP Mode runs XP in a virtual machine, in case you have any apps that don't run on Win 7.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Thu 03-Mar-11 17:28:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That's corret N means no media player i personally have 7 pro but thats because i use xp mode and also i do active directory testing and needed to domain join option pro is also handy if you plan on using over 8gig of ram i think but not 100% sure you need pro to use IIS as well although as i say im not 100% sure hope this helps

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/2563/8156/speed.io.png

2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 06/2011 Will Be Virgin media 100Meg

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 18:06:53
Print Post

All the info here.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 03-Mar-11 22:32:25
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Thanks, it doesn't give the IIS situation but I found that here. I can't currently see anything IIS-wise to need the Professional version, my web sites are really very simple, mainly PHP and HTML.

Tony
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 03-Mar-11 23:04:00
Print Post

http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/28/installing-iis-7-o...

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011 - All rights and lefts reserved.

report this link
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Fri 04-Mar-11 12:31:41
Print Post

With win7pro you also get group Policy ability, this is missing in Home Premium. Pro is the bets upgrade from xp pro

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

Idnetters Official Forums

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 04-Mar-11 12:33:22
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cavillas:
With win7pro you also get group Policy ability, this is missing in Home Premium. Pro is the bets upgrade from xp pro
How will that benefit the OP?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Fri 04-Mar-11 12:47:26
Print Post

I've got a laptop (W7hp), PC (XP pro sp3) and second laptop (W2K sp4).

The W2k laptop is being used as a print server. The printer sharing was a bit of a pain to set up as all the relative drivers on the W7 laptop had to be installed via Windows Update but apart from that they all talk to each other without any issues. With the new O2 router I have a USB HD plugged into the router so it is even easier to share and backup files.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 04-Mar-11 14:16:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Indeed, there's only one user - me.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to