Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 09:50:01
Print Post

IE9 - ClearType - Damn you Microsoft!

[link to this post]

Ever since Microsoft launched ClearType on the world there has been a large minority of users who simply cannot stand it. For some reason our eyes/brains just can't get on with the concept. To us it looks like blurry, multi-coloured text. Like an out of alignment CRT. It makes a lot of us feel nauseous.

We've been telling Microsoft this for years. When MS Office 2k7 came out there was no option to disable it in the UI and despite system settings saying 'Don't use it' MSO used it anyway. Luckily there was an undocumented registry setting 'RespectSystemFontSmooth' that could be used. The name says it all - a plea to MSO to respect our choice.

Now along comes IE9 and they've done it again! No option to disable ClearType. People complained in the beta and got nowhere. Now the official release is out and no option. Any attempt to query this with MS is met with the usual [censored] 'Check your DPI, run the wizard, ClearType is wonderful'!

It's like fighting some rabid religious cult, [censored]! We don't want ClearType. I consider it injurious to my health. Why the hell are MS so blind to this issue and inconsiderate of our complaints?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Sat 19-Mar-11 09:51:44)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Mar-11 09:51:29
Print Post

Re: IE9 - ClearType - Damn you Microsoft!

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Vote with your feet- use a different browser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 09:54:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Vote with your feet- use a different browser.
Oh I do. I'm a Chrome user. But it's the concept of it that bugs me. I am basically an MS dependant - I'm a .NET software developer writing stuff for Exchange and SharePoint. I just cannot fathom why they refuse to acknowledge the issue or help us out. Quite frankly I'd class my issue as a 'disability'. Why won't they help me out like they help other people with vision issues?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/11/03/sub-pi...

Read the comments. Actually it looks like on my system it will be grey scaling it but it's still messing about in a way I don't want and they just don't seem to understand.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 19-Mar-11 10:06:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:00:21
Print Post

I wouldn't dream of using Explorer but I must access some sites (most blatantly, Companies Register Webcheck for downloading of company info) that will only work with it.

Otherwise I use Firefox, Thunderbird mail, and OpenOffice. Why pay MS fancy prices when Oracle gives us a similar or perhaps better package for free?
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:07:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrue:
I am basically an MS dependant - I'm a .NET software developer writing stuff for Exchange and SharePoint.
Ah, I didn't know that... you do have a problem frown
I just cannot fathom why they refuse to acknowledge the issue or help us out.
Microsoft know best... admittedly they're not quite as bad as Apple, but they're getting there wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:14:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
I am basically an MS dependant - I'm a .NET software developer writing stuff for Exchange and SharePoint.
Ah, I didn't know that... you do have a problem frown
Yeah. I think I dodged a bullet with Visual Studio and Office 2k10. At the moment we haven't moved to either but I believe that they relented and allowed it to be disabled.

But in all seriousness - if MS didn't let me disable it I would be staring (ha ha) at the end of my MS career. I don't actually have a vision problem. I wear glasses but actually my eyes are fine. It's just that for some reason my brain can't handle CT and rebels. I'm genuinely glad that I'm fairly close to retirement and financially secure because I have real concerns over my ability to do my job if this idiocy continues.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 19-Mar-11 10:14:38)

Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:16:09
Print Post

I can't understand the problem with ClearType (just tried turning it off on my system and the results were horrible), but I agree that if it is optional in the OS then it should be optional in IE.

As a matter of interest, what monitor and connection method do you use? I have a Ilyama 19" LCD screen with a DVI connection and without ClearType the screen becomes almost unreadable. With it everything is lovely and crisp.
Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:23:37
Print Post

As a matter of interest, have you filed a bug report about this? The more people that do so the quicker it will be fixed. Best to add a comment to an existing report rather than filing yet another one.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:34:29
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
I can't understand the problem with ClearType (just tried turning it off on my system and the results were horrible), but I agree that if it is optional in the OS then it should be optional in IE.

As a matter of interest, what monitor and connection method do you use? I have a Ilyama 19" LCD screen with a DVI connection and without ClearType the screen becomes almost unreadable. With it everything is lovely and crisp.
At the moment I'm using a laptop but at work I have Dell monitors (three smile ) and have never got on with ClearType on those either. I appreciate that a lot of people do like it but some of us have a genuine physical reaction to it. I start to feel sick then faint. Oddly it's a lot like getting motion sickness - something I do suffer from although thankfully not when I'm driving smile

One theory about motion sickness is that your brain thinks you've been poisoned because it can't understand what its senses are telling it. Perhaps my brain can't make sense of what my eyes are seeing and assumes poison for the same reason.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sat 19-Mar-11 10:36:29)

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:37:35
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
As a matter of interest, have you filed a bug report about this? The more people that do so the quicker it will be fixed. Best to add a comment to an existing report rather than filing yet another one.
I've been trying to post feedback but their site seems to be down. I don't know if they will fix it anyway. Plenty of people complained about it during development (the responses to that blog show that) but nothing was done.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User AEP
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Mar-11 10:47:47
Print Post

I think that bug reports are probably more effective than comments on blogs. The guys at Microsoft can see a simple counter mounting up rather than having to wade through loads of, not always clearly expressed, comments.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Mar-11 19:06:21
Print Post

Ever since Microsoft launched ClearType on the world there has been a large minority of users who simply cannot stand it. For some reason our eyes/brains just can't get on with the concept. To us it looks like blurry, multi-coloured text. Like an out of alignment CRT. It makes a lot of us feel nauseous.

We've been telling Microsoft this for years. When MS Office 2k7 came out there was no option to disable it in the UI and despite system settings saying 'Don't use it' MSO used it anyway. Luckily there was an undocumented registry setting 'RespectSystemFontSmooth' that could be used. The name says it all - a plea to MSO to respect our choice.

Now along comes IE9 and they've done it again! No option to disable ClearType. People complained in the beta and got nowhere. Now the official release is out and no option. Any attempt to query this with MS is met with the usual [censored] 'Check your DPI, run the wizard, ClearType is wonderful'!

It's like fighting some rabid religious cult, [censored]! We don't want ClearType. I consider it injurious to my health. Why the hell are MS so blind to this issue and inconsiderate of our complaints?

They have the same bug as google, they want to control how the user use's apps instead of giving choice, I am fully in agreement qith you and think its aweful design choice. I hated it so much I rolled back to IE8.

Since I use both IE and firefox, if I did get used to cleartype I would then have to enable for firefox so both match. Easier for me to rollback.

It is rather ironic that microsoft design their apps to ignore an OS setting on their own OS.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sat 19-Mar-11 19:08:04)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Mar-11 19:17:14
Print Post

I did some digging as I noticed that reg key doesnt work on my office 2007.

It seems microsoft even went out of their way to remove the user choice (along with the key) in SP1 and onwards.

http://www.wfu.edu/~yipcw/is/vista/office2007/cleart...

I assume it also isnt possible in office 2010.

Although it does seem office 2007 is actually honouring the system setting tho.
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Mar-11 19:22:20
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Always use Clear Type option is in Word 2010.

Tony
Standard User asidana
(newbie) Sat 26-Mar-11 20:35:33
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

There is apossible solution, someone wrote a wrapper dll to disable clear type. have a look at http://nolovelust.com/post/IE-9-and-Clear-Type.aspx#...
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Mar-11 14:11:32
Print Post

[re: asidana] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by asidana:
There is apossible solution, someone wrote a wrapper dll to disable clear type. have a look at http://nolovelust.com/post/IE-9-and-Clear-Type.aspx#...

nice link.

Update on 18/03/2011: After 3 days I've decided to remove IE9 from my computer. It is half cooked, has really bad UI and makes my eyes ichy!
sounds about right smile

I will test the wrapper on spare pc or laptop and see how it goes. That still leaves the gui issues tho but is a step in the right direction.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to