Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 10-Apr-11 18:47:32
Print Post

cannot access tv sound

[link to this post]

when I connect my laptop(win7) to tv through hdmi cable, I can watch on the tv whatever is shown on my laptop. However I can only hear the sound through the laptop speaker and not the tv. I tried all sort of attempts by right clicking the speaker icon on the task bar without success. Any ideas from anybody please.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Apr-11 20:45:45
Print Post

Re: cannot access tv sound

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Most of the time it is because the laptop will not send the sound through the HDMI cable, if you have tried all options then that is probably the case., You need to deliver the sound to the TV using a sound cable..

(experienced) Sun 10-Apr-11 20:53:52
Print Post

HDMI leads carry both sound and picture.

Control Panel - Sounds and select the HDMI option for the speakers.

It took me a couple of attempts to get things setup correctly.
On my Dell Studio it all works fine. On my Uncle's (Vista) laptop, the HDMI lead has to be plugged in before any playback program is started otherwise no sound is heard from the TV.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(member) Sun 10-Apr-11 21:47:05
Print Post

have you tried different HDMI ports on the TV silly as this sounds on my cuzes tv although all HDMI ports can play sound threw things like tv box blu-ray ect on her pc only HDMI 1 will get sound the other 2 dont work with it and it says on the back of the tv HDMI/PC on port 1 i forget what model shes got but maybe urs is the same

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Apr-11 23:14:12
Print Post

You need 1 of these as well: 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 x Phono Plugs 5M

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 11-Apr-11 21:35:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Why spend more when HDMI cable carries sound as well as picture?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:21:59
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

1. Spend is trivial.
  2. While it is true that HDMI cables carry sound, from what OP says it is not certain that his laptop sends sound out of its HDMI port.
  3. If the cheap Phono cable works it will confirm this or at least that the OP's setup is wrong.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 11-Apr-11 22:49:09)

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Apr-11 22:39:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Lots of things about the OP's set up are not certain despite the various queries and suggestions made.

At a guess, they have blitzed various fora with the same query and forgotten all about us after getting a solution to their problem.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)

Edited by gomezz (Mon 11-Apr-11 22:41:37)

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-11 23:24:10
Print Post

Contrary to some suggestions it would be a very odd HDMI port if it didn't include audio. After all, that is one whole huge part of the point of HDMI in the first place!

You have downloaded the latest drivers for your laptop's graphics/sound and installed them? I have had one instance where an ATI card refused to output audio to HDMI even then. I ended up having to do a lot of research to find the audio drivers from Realtek for the ATI card's audio system.

You have tried another cable? It's possible you have a dodgy connection there. If it is the case then you do not need to spend a huge sum on another cable. So long as you are not planning running the cable to the neighbours house a cheap as chips one from here will work just as well as some Monster cable with an equally monstrous price.

You have tried connecting something else to the HTMI port on the TV you are trying to use or tried using another HDMI port on the TV that you know works? It's possible there's something wrong there too.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
  Print Thread

Jump to