Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 20:36:47
Print Post

Winzip annoyance

[link to this post]

I'm doing some work which involves opening a large number of zipped Excel files, checking they're OK, and if they are, that's fine - do nothing.

The speed at which I can do this is greatly impeded by the stupid messages I keep getting from Winzip. Every time I open a file - just to look at it and check, remember, not to edit anything - and then quit without changing or saving, it comes up with the stupid message: "[Name of file] has been changed since it was extracted. Update archive with this file?"

But I haven't changed anything - I've just looked at it, no more. So what's it on about?

Then, whatever I reply to that (Yes/No doesn't really matter, since it hasn't actually changed anyway - but I usually choose "No" to be on the safe side) it says: "[Name of file] has been changed since was extracted to a temporary folder. Delete the temporarily extracted copy of this file?"

To this one, I usually say "Yes", since if it's only a temporarily extracted version anyway, I don't want it kicking around to cause any confusion later.

Anyway, this all might seem no big deal, but when you've literally dozens to check, two error messages for every single one is no joke. Even if they only take a second each to dismiss, the annoyance is huge.

So why is it even reporting anything's changed in the first place? I'm just looking at the stuff...

T.
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Apr-11 21:24:21
Print Post

Re: Winzip annoyance

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Quite agree Tina.

And when you open an 'old' zipped Excel file you get three messages, Excel asks if you want to save it in the latest format!

Grr!

Tony
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 21:40:34
Print Post

Being on Windows 7 I don't need WinZip; it just deals with zipped files transparently. Yet another reason to use a modern OS.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:05:28
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I am on Windows 7.

What's that got to do with it? The files are supplied to me as zip files, and no, I'm afraid it isn't "just dealing with them transparently".
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:06:29
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

So it's just a "feature", is it?

No way of switching it off?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:07:18
Print Post

Arrange for the Excel files to be Read-Only before they are Zipped?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:20:55
Print Post

Can't find any such option.It would seem to be a useful option though.

Tony
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:32:10
Print Post

IIRC, as soon as you scroll through an Excel File, it tries to remember the last position - hence you have "changed" it (even though you haven't changed any contents)!

Regards,
John
O2 User
Also a FRUSTRATED O2 Box User
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 07:50:46
Print Post

You don't need a third-party program to open, create, or use zip files in Windows 7. Explorer let's you see the contents of a zip file and open individual files within an archive. So, don't use WinZip, just open the files directly.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Apr-11 08:41:43
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

I was more meaning, by my reference to an 'old' Excel file, that when you close an Excel file last saved by a previous version of Excel it asks whether you want it to save it with the current version. (It might be possible to turn that prompt off, not specifically looked).

Tony
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to