Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 18:46:25
Print Post

Firefox new tab default focus

[link to this post]

When I open a new tab in Firefox the default keyboard focus is the url box. Is it possible to give the search box focus by default? (i.e. as soon as the new tab opens I want to be able to type in the search box without having to click anything else (or using any hotkey).)

Thanks!

John.
Standard User Sark
(legend) Wed 13-Jul-11 18:53:54
Print Post

Re: Firefox new tab default focus

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Solved it. Found an add-on which does the job.

John.
Standard User camieabz
(legend) Thu 14-Jul-11 01:39:30
Print Post

Is it me or is FF getting silly?

Last time there were navigation changes, and there's an add-on to move them back. This time...etc.

So wouldn't it be easier to not change things, and let those that want to change their look to be forced to have the add-on?

I don't think I'll bother this time. FF5 is less stable than 4 imo. I've had more browser probs (admittedly with pdfs most of the time) since upgrading. FF's answer is that it's Adobe's fault. confused

IE6 is getting more and more appealing every day. Ok, IE7 then.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 14-Jul-11 06:47:04
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I had problems with PDFs on Firefox 4 as well. Although I'm using PDF-Xchange viewer not Adobe. It would just lock the entire browser for about a minute and then show the unhappy face thing. Seems to have gone away recently, though. Not sure if Firefox fixed it or Xchange viewer did.

I try IE every now and again. For me it has two deal breakers: 1) The internet is intolerable without proper adblocking. 2) TBB forums don't render properly. The final result is okay but it has a horrible flicker on about every other page load.

BTW, on-topic, I found out you can assign 'keywords' to the search engines. So if I assign Google to 'g' I can type in the url box 'g my search term' and it will instantly search Google with 'my search term' rather than try to do a lookup first. Pretty neat! Makes my original requirement redundant. smile

John.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 14-Jul-11 13:32:46
Print Post

If you used the keyboard instead of the mouse to open the new tab it's faster to get the search started and no addon needed.
Ctrl+T to open the new tab
Tab to move to the search box
Start typing the search immediately
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 15-Jul-11 21:59:13
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

mine doesnt focus on either, google is the home page and the search box on that page gets the focus.

Now if google wasnt my home page and lets say tbb was, my preffered behaviour would probably be for the address bar to get focus, I think chrome's behaviour is bad (again). You guys may guess by now I dont like chrome much wink
  Print Thread

Jump to