Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 18:45:43
Print Post

Thunderbird Trash/Deleted oddity

[link to this post]

I'm in the middle of changing from POP3 on a Vista machine to IMAP on that and a new Win 7 machine, as some of you will know.

I have got quite used to and like the "Trash" folder everywhere on the existing machine, but despite trying several tricks, finally copying the whole contents of the default profile to replace the contents of the one on the Win 7 machine, there is no way they aren't all called "Deleted" there frown.

Normal folder name changes do not work, and the folder properties cannot have the name edited.

Just wondering if there is something I can alter on the new machine, as it is clearly preset somewhere. As far as I know both are 5.0 latest update, the only difference being the old one started off as something earlier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Thu 04-Aug-11 10:02:31
Print Post

Re: Thunderbird Trash/Deleted oddity

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe this:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_Trash_folder

I use IMAP and TB 5.0 displays "Deleted" for my Trash folder, despite the folder actually being called "Trash" on the remote server - right click the folder to find out what it's actually called.

Things are slightly different in the IMAP world...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Aug-11 12:33:06
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

Thanks, there may be something useful there as it gives me clues. Though really it addresses the opposite of the problem.

Like you, the server has Trash. Even the full contents of the profile have been copied from where TB has it as Trash. It rather looks as though there is something else in TB that has been changed but which doesn't alter things on an upgrade to it.

Unfortunately all relevant Help I have found stops around version 3, and many things have changed. I think that includes the link you gave me.

Windows won't open the prefs.js file frown. Says there is a script error. Did it with Notepad, and "Deleted" isn't present.

Will look around later.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 04-Aug-11 18:56:52
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

Cracked it!

I copied the 3.0.4 setup.exe from the download folder on the original machine. Installed that and (off-line) created a dummy POP3 account. That showed up with a Trash folder. I did that to make sure that any run-time initialisations had been done before proceeding.

I then went through checking for updates. The wearisome thing was it only supplied the next update - so I had to go through an update for 3.0.4, then got 3.1 I think it was, then a couple of updates for that, and finally got 5.0

Set up (offline) an IMAP account for my live personal account, which now has 3 years messages up there, and that showed up with a Trash folder.

Now to carry on with my other domains smile.

Print Thread

Jump to