Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 10-Aug-11 21:45:23
Print Post

Autoruns and Internet Explorer stuff

[link to this post]

I have discovered that IE7 cannot be uninstalled from Vista. No big deal. I just deleted all shortcuts in all things to it. Am using FF5.

Looking within Autoruns: (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects)

There are several lines I can disable with the tick box option. I'm wondering if any of them might somehow interfere with FF5 via the IE plugin, should I decide I want to use it in the future?

Lines (asterisk means already disabled):

Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper *
FilterBHO Class
Google Toolbar Notifier BHO *
IEVkbdBHO Class
Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
SSVHelper Class

The last two are particular to Java, while the other two are particular to Kaspersky. All are .dll reg entries. Leave? Disable?

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-11 22:09:47
Print Post

Re: Autoruns and Internet Explorer stuff

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Try it and find out.

(sensei) Wed 10-Aug-11 22:11:27
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

That's the point. Without others' knowledge, I can't guess at future issues, and can't readily test the options if I don't know what lies ahead. Others might have had experience of such things.

Kind of why people post in technical forums...

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-11 22:24:46
Print Post

I guess what 12eason is saying is you're going to be hard pushed trying to find someone who can categorically state that it will or will not affect something.

Do you mean, the plugin for firefox to run IE within the firefox interface? In this case, that may affect things, I'd imagine the IE plugin for firefox is launching iexplore and then piping (if that is the programmer word?) what the IE process is rendering of the page, so no doubt it will try to use those browser helper objects if it can.

That said, while it may disable them, I doubt they will cause problems - just result in reduced functionality as and when, like it would if you was using IE normally.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-11 22:26:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
That's the point. Without others' knowledge, I can't guess at future issues

You've made so many modifications if you get some esoteric issue in the future it's going to be reinstall windows (hopefully 7) time tongue

(sensei) Wed 10-Aug-11 23:01:04
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
In reply to a post by camieabz:
That's the point. Without others' knowledge, I can't guess at future issues

You've made so many modifications if you get some esoteric issue in the future it's going to be reinstall windows (hopefully 7) time tongue

At this rate it will be Unix. It's actually for my lappy. My PC went phut last night (most likely PSU) and I've been bringing the lappy up to speed with a few modifications. I might post about that later.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Print Thread

Jump to