Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 14-Aug-11 19:27:18
Print Post

Firefox 6

[link to this post]

Mozilla fans who are happy marching to the rhythm of Firefox’s new franticly beating drums will be pleased to know that not only is Firefox 6 still on track for release this Tuesday, but here at Maximum PC we have the links to hook you up a whole two days early.

The process involves downloading the installer directly from Mozilla’s repositories, but we have verified that it is indeed the final working code, and is identical to the version that will be pushed out through the auto updater in a couple of days.

For desktop users Firefox 6 is definitely a bit light on new features, but is still a worthwhile upgrade if it’s still your browser of choice.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-11 19:34:17
Print Post

Re: Firefox 6

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Shovelling out 'major' releases like this is just plain daft. I'm still using 3.6.x because the extensions that I use haven't been updated yet to recognise the changed major release numbers. The Firefox team have lost sight of their user base. I also wonder about their QA testing. Pushing major releases is usually a sign of a software project in trouble.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“Hollywood is like life, you face it with the sum total of your equipment.” -- Joan Crawford
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-11 22:12:04
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

the firefox team lost sight after version 3.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-11 22:15:16
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I like the nightlies, they are good with memory now.

(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Aug-11 22:51:13
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I'm still using 3.6.18 as 4 didn't seem to like my Windows XP OS or some websites either.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-11 23:24:31
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Shovelling out 'major' releases like this is just plain daft. I'm still using 3.6.x because the extensions that I use haven't been updated yet to recognise the changed major release numbers. The Firefox team have lost sight of their user base. I also wonder about their QA testing. Pushing major releases is usually a sign of a software project in trouble.

good news on the bartab extension, on 2.1b2 (the dodgy version but is needed to run on ff4 and 5), if manually fill in whitelisted sites in about:config, the other bugs dissapear. So with that addon fixed I am now 90% happily using ff5 which is way faster than 3.6.

However these fast updates of the major version are silly, I also dont like that when an update is available it doesnt tell you what version it is, it now just says a new version is available. FF5 said that on my test rig and when I clicked update it put on FF6 beta. Of course I know why it did that as that install is using the beta channel, but the fact is it didnt tell me what version I would be upgrading to beforehand, they have adopted a silent update system.

My main problem is this. Before I upgrade to a major version I have todo lots of testing and make sure it updates ok (usually anything form a week up to many months), however FF5 is now EOL so if there is a security issue I have to live with it or update to a new major version I havent tested.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 14-Aug-11 23:27:20)

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-11 23:55:03
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-o...

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 08:57:00
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
I'm still using 3.6.18 as 4 didn't seem to like my Windows XP OS or some websites either.

Sadly I have knocked Firefox on the head, got fed up of the delay on start up, the crashes and other problems.

Adrian

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 08:57:30
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 12eason:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-o...

The Add-on Compatibility Reporter worked when it felt like it and not with all add ons.

Adrian

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Aug-11 09:37:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I'm on nightly and it works with all my addons.

Jump to