Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 08:46:52
Print Post

Windows XP PRo: What is the AppData folder doing there?

[link to this post]

On my Windows XP Pro PC, in C:\Documents and Settings\<my user>, there is a folder named AppData. It contains folder LocalLow, which contains a folder DataMngr, which contains a file named {7CA1.....1EED}. I realise that the AppData folder is used in a Vista system, but this is XP.

Any thoughts where it may have come from?

If relevant I'm using FF 3.6.20.

Tony
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:47:21
Print Post

Re: Windows XP PRo: What is the AppData folder doing there?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Probably some poorly written app/driver.

(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:06:39
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Is there any way of using the file name I gave part of as an indication of what may have created the folder? The file name looks like some sort of product identity, I did try a search of the registry for that file name but to no avail.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:19:10
Print Post

I had a question recently from a colleague about the difference between AppData\Local and the AppData\LocalLow. So, onto the web and let’s fire up my favourite search engine. The very first hit for “difference between the Local and the LocalLow folders” was http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955555 . A portion of that states:

“Windows Vista introduces a new Application Data folder structure. Previously, user profiles did not logically sort data that was stored in the Application Data folder. Therefore, it was difficult to determine whether data belonged to the computer or the user. Windows Vista addresses this issue by creating a single AppData folder that contains three subfolders under the user profile: Roaming, Local, and LocalLow. Windows Vista uses the Local and LocalLow folders for application data that does not roam with the user. Usually, this data is specific to the computer or is too large to roam. The AppData\Local folder in Windows Vista is the same as the Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data folder in Windows XP.”

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:21:28
Print Post

my DataMngr Extension has been invaded by searchqu. how do I correct it.

My browser has been invaded by http://www.searchqu.com/. I have uninstalled the related toolbar. When I start the Firefox browser the first tab starts in my home page as defined in Options. All subsequent tabs default to the searchqu address on opening. If I start in Safe Mode and “Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults” and “Continue in Safe Mode” the browser work correctly, but if I “Make changes and Restart” the problem remains. I have identified that the problem resides in the Extension DataMngr 1.0 (Data Manager for Firefox). What does this extension do and can I operate satisfactorily without it or can it be replaced.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:24:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yep, I'd already read that before the post and said that it was XP not Vista.

Tony
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 20-Aug-11 13:31:54
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm not aware of having a Data Manager extension in my Firefox. Is it optional or an integral part of FF? Looking inside the {...} file the only 'words' start a couple of bytes into the file and read 'serialization::archive'.

Does that mean anything.

At the moment I've renamed the AppData folder to see what, if anything objects.

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to