Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tommy_boi
(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:07:14
Print Post

Windows Install Errors

[link to this post]

I am trying to install XP on my dell laptop which currently has windows 7 on but when i put the XP cd in and boot from it, i either get blue screens or error messages saying the file on the cd is corrupt or missing, i have tried several windows xp cds with no success, i've also tried windows vista, the reason i am trying to install XP is cause i seem to have a (replacing battery error) which seems to be an issue with windows 7, i have a thread about this here http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/t/4037815-... if you wanna have a read, any suggestions about the window install errors appreciated?.

Sky Broadband Customer smile
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:26:36
Print Post

Re: Windows Install Errors

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

Go into BIOS and disable AHCI - Often called SATA compatability mode or the likes - Change it to IDE (most likely what its called), or SATA, NOT RAID OR AHCI .

File not found errors during windows setup usually result of bad RAM.

I don't think your replace battery thingy is an error with Windows 7 - it's simply telling you it has detected its not holding charge that it used to be.

(experienced) Mon 29-Aug-11 01:48:01
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I did try changing the SATA thing from AHCI to IDE but still seemed to get the file missing errors, it could be my windows xp cds as windows 7 installed again properly but wanted to install windows xp on it to see if the battery error disappeared.

Sky Broadband Customer smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User saturn_uranus
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 29-Aug-11 18:46:46
Print Post

[re: tommy_boi] [link to this post]

The battery message will dissappear, in so much as it won't appear because Windows XP doesn't have that functionality built in like Windows 7 does. If the battery performs to a satisfactory standard for you then just ignore the message, surely?

Re: Windows XP installation. It does sound like a dodgy CD.

_______
Virgin media 50Mb formerly be* Pro

http://www.speedtest.net/result/768833128.png
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Aug-11 02:08:34
Print Post

[re: saturn_uranus] [link to this post]

Is Windows XP SP3 disc? Think Sata drivers were included in SP3.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN
  Print Thread

Jump to