Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User git
(experienced) Wed 31-Aug-11 20:13:01
Print Post

HD arrangement for Win 7 MCE

[link to this post]

Just had to replace my boot drive which means I currently have all my files crammed on to different drives across my homenet, and a blank 1.5TB drive split in to a 100GB boot part and the rest as a single data partition. The other 2 drives in the PVR are 2TB drives, and all three are WD green drives. Is having the location I record TV to on the same physical drive as the OS partition going to have any noticable effect, as I like the idea of the otrher 2 drives living their lives powered down unless I want to watch something stored on them?
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Aug-11 20:23:04
Print Post

Re: HD arrangement for Win 7 MCE

[re: git] [link to this post]

Not really, unless you also intend to do lots of multitasking as well. Actually not even then. The OS rarely needs to load OS files unless it is being asked to load programs etc. If you are just writing a large file to one partition, it will rarely need to go to the other to read stuff. Even if it does, it'd take a lot to get it to burn through the write buffer. And by a lot, I mean well over 100MB/s.

(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-11 20:50:57
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

The OS rarely needs to load OS files unless it is being asked to load programs etc.
Untrue. the only way to tell for sure is to run a file monitoring program to see what files are being accessed. You'd be amazed at how many file operations there are, even when you think nothing is happening, particularly on the files housing the registry. The good news is that the extremely efficient file caching used by Windows 7 means that these file accesses don't necessarily translate to physical disk accesses.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Aug-11 21:02:15
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

It's at a trivially low level though. Look, here it is running a virus scan and the needle is barely registering: http://i.imgur.com/hvC2S.png It's not even more that 5MB/s.

(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Aug-11 21:06:01
Print Post

Yeah. Resource monitor is a very poor tool to measure this as the accesses take far less time than the granularity of the monitoring. You need to use a proper monitoring program that records the individual accesses to see what is happening.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Aug-11 21:49:42
Print Post

Do you have anything relevant to add to this thread AEP, or are you just here to be unhelpful and argumentative?

(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 07:06:29
Print Post

Well, i think that the number of file accesses that are made to the system disk under normal conditions is relevant to the OP. I would suggest that he uses Process Monitor to monitor this during his nomal usage. Then an informed decision can be made about the best way to use his disks.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Sep-11 12:11:45
Print Post

Really? You think that less than 1MB/s worth of background, mainly cached file access (not HD access) is going to have a significant effect on a machine writing a tiny <10MB/s stream to another partition of a HD capable of over 100MB/s of continuous read/write? Even with the added seek time it's a trivial task.

Your argumentative nature has backed you into yet another ridiculous position AEP. I suggest you save it for FC though.

(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 12:15:49
Print Post

Whatever.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Thu 01-Sep-11 12:37:21
Print Post

[re: git] [link to this post]

There's a document here from Microsoft about MCE design, which is quite an interesting read. For what it's worth they recommend a separate drive, ideally drives in a RAID setup, for media files.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to