Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Sep-11 09:54:58
Print Post

MS Access 2010 book sought

[link to this post]

The main Office applications - especially Excel & Word - I use regularly and have no real problem. And I've used databases many times, and written Basic database programs for simple domestic purposes. One of the problems with these that they use an ancient (c.1990) version of Pwer Basic which runs under DOS. Although I've got the programs running on XP Mode in Windows 7, I really need - and want - to get to grips with re-implementing them in Access.

It's clearly going to be pretty simple Access stuff. But one thing I know I'll need to be able to understand is multiple tables, I did do an Access evening class course a few years ago but despite it's title it covered nothing about multiple tables, nor did the tutor know anything about them.

So...

I enjoy reading and using reference books - easy to browse when away from the PC wink.

I don't mind getting involved in VBA if appropriate - I have for Excel and Word.

Any thoughts and suggestions on good, but not too deep, books on Access?

Tony
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 17-Sep-11 10:32:16
Print Post

Re: MS Access 2010 book sought

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

I have used Access professionally for 10+ years. All self-taught.

Suggest any book on Access (or relational databases) as the additional improvements from one version to another in Access are minimal and you are unlikely to need to know these if you will be writing simple databases.

However, the damned Ribbon MS introduced with 2007 is a right pain if you are used to the earlier versions.

Get to know how to use 'Design View' to link multiple Tables together and use the resulting Query to choose the Fields you want. All pretty easy once you have done it a few times.

There are loads of Access tutorials you can find via Google (other search engines are available !). Some are better than others.

Don't worry about VBA. You don't really need it unless you are writing Forms with, say, data input validation. Also, stepping through the database using Recordsets can be a bit daunting at first.

Good Luck !

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Sep-11 10:36:50
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Thanks. I've not actually used Access before - apart from that 1 course - so have no concerns about older versions of Access. And I quite like the ribbon in Excel and Word grin.

Browsing around Amazon (other on-line book sellers are available...) tends to point me towards the Access 2010 The Missing Book. I may order up a copy to kick me into action.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:12:46
Print Post

I've always liked the '...For Dummies' books.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Sat 17-Sep-11 11:17:06
Print Post

Try your library.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Sep-11 12:07:01
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

I feel they're a touch on the basic side in all honesty. I did look at an Access one a few years ago and found it really was IMHO a bit too simplistic.

Tony
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 12:50:48
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
Try your library.
I'll second that. Public libraries usually stock these kinds of computing books.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“That's the way to do it” -- Mr. Punch
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Sep-11 14:39:43
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Just checked on line library reservations for the borough. Only relevant book is Access 2010 for Dummies - which is a series I'm not over keen on, however I've reserved a copy - both of which are currently out elsewhere in the area, so it'll be a couple of weeks.

Tony
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-Sep-11 14:49:38
Print Post

Have you looked for online tutorials? Googling "microsoft access tutorials" returns plenty of hits.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
“That's the way to do it” -- Mr. Punch
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
  Print Thread

Jump to