Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 10-Oct-11 10:48:12
Print Post

windows does not shutdown when lid is closed

[link to this post]

Occasionally when I close the lid of my Dell laptop, windows does not shutdown propely. I know this because when I open the lid I am given various options to proceed ie normal mode, safe mode etc.My first reaction may be that I did not close the lid properly !! Is there any other reason ?
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Mon 10-Oct-11 10:59:56
Print Post

Re: windows does not shutdown when lid is closed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'm no expert but I believe there is a setting that tells what action to take when the lid in closed EG "shut down" "sleep" I think it might be in the power settings.
Check that is set to "shut down"

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Mon 10-Oct-11 11:04:20
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Agree...

There must be something in the shut-down settings that is causing the problem.

Or, are you the guy that keeps opening the 'fridge door to see if the light has gone out?

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Oct-11 14:04:00
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Could be a problem with drivers or other software not allowing the machine to close down properly. Likely the same problem would occur going through a normal start menu shutdown as using the shutdown on the lid closing. Personally I don't have laptops do anything on the lid closing as I will often close the lid when moving to another location and I want the choice of when a laptop shuts down or goes to sleep.

There are a number of things that can stop an orderly shut down of a laptop or PC and they are not usually directly associated with the fact it is the closing of the lid triggering the shutdown. Would recommend just googling for "PC not shutting down properly" and work through the results from that.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Oct-11 22:20:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have this conflict:

My laptop is configured to
  • Shutdown on Power button
  • Sleep on lid down
When I press the Power button it starts shutting down. But if I lower lid too early it interrupts shutdown and goes to sleep. When I reopen lid it continues shutdown.

Could it be something like this?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 05:28:19
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Do you mean it doesn't shut down or go into Standby? I have the same problem with my Dell Studio - I need to close the lid quite vigorously before it will Standby. When I've closed it, I gently press down at the front and that usually does it. You can see if it's in Standby by the lights (most computers).

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
  Print Thread

Jump to