Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 13-Oct-11 23:26:01
Print Post

Windows 7: How to make Google default search engine?

[link to this post]

Thanks to Enterprise Management (it's a corporate machine), it appears I've just received a Windows 7 update. Not only have I lost all personalisation/customisation (themes, colours, favourites, toolbar setup etc.) but it's proving difficult to put some of it back again, as some things have changed.

I used to have Google UK as my default search engine. Now it has reverted to Bing. There is a "find more providers" button, but it doesn't list Google as one of those I'm allowed to choose from, although there are a number of useless proprietary ones, such as "Autotrader".

The only online sources I've been able to find suggest the only fix is to edit the registry, which I'm reluctant to do, on a work machine. But I can't believe you have to do that, just to say you want Google. And I'm sure I didn't have to last time I was in this position, as it was on the list of alternatives.

Anyone know how to tell it you want the world's No. 1 search engine, without having to edit the registry?

T.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Oct-11 23:34:44
Print Post

Re: Windows 7: How to make Google default search engine?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

What about going to this direct link: http://www.iegallery.com/gb/addons/detail.aspx?id=13438

(legend) Thu 13-Oct-11 23:40:10
Print Post

Re: Windows 7: How to make Google default search engine?

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thank you - fixed! smile Didn't know that was there!

Maybe it's how I did it last time, but just couldn't remember. I'm sure I didn't edit the registry!

T.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to