Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fens
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 09:51:42
Print Post

Windows update query

[link to this post]

I'm using Windows7 and generally happy with it. However, when doing a windows update there are always lots of stuff listed for download which I don't have installed on my pc, for instance Office updates, C+ updates and always silverlight (whatever that is, I don't want it). Why is it doing this? Can an always ignore be set for certain updates?

A small point but irritating.

Thanks.
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 11:05:01
Print Post

Re: Windows update query

[re: Fens] [link to this post]

If you don't want an update to show again just right click on it and click hide update.

Scottish_Pete

Demon Home 8000
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 18-Oct-11 11:06:26
Print Post

I think silverlight is an attempt to duplicated Adobe's flash.

I thought there was an option to disable all but critical software updates?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Tue 18-Oct-11 11:31:37
Print Post

That is not normal behaviour; you should only expect to be offered updates to programs that you have installed.

Are you absolutely sure that you don't have any of these things installed? For example, you mention C++ updates; many programs will install the C++ redistributable, as they need it to run. Again, Silverlight is likely installed if you ever browse Microsoft web sites.

I'd check in the list of installed programs to ensure that you really do not have these programs installed. It's not wise (IMO) to ignore updates, which often fix security problems, to installed programs unless there is a real issue with a particular one.
Standard User Fens
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 17:17:43
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Thanks will sort it accordingly.
Standard User philippercival
(committed) Tue 18-Oct-11 23:24:15
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I agree let it install the updates.

Having said that, I thought I had removed Silverlight and it was re-installed in an update today. The strange thing about the C++ runtime update was it was apparently installed successfully in the same update, but reappeared on the list of important updates at least three times. I confess as it had the same number and claimed to have been successful, I have now hidden it.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 19-Oct-11 01:51:21
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

The one that gets me is the .NET Framework, usually huge update.
I assume as just a regular user, I don't need it.
Correct ?
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 07:56:59
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Probably wrong. More and more programs use the .NET framework, so ignoring security problems with it is probably not sensible.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 08:26:14
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by philippercival:
Having said that, I thought I had removed Silverlight and it was re-installed in an update today.
It does no harm so you might as well leave it be. To be honest I think more problems with Windows are caused by people who think they know best and keep uninstalling things instead of just letting it be. It sort of pains me to say it because the time was when I was very careful about what I kept installed but I stopped worrying several years ago. HDDs are so large these days that it's just not worth the risk or bother to try and spring clean.
The strange thing about the C++ runtime update was it was apparently installed successfully in the same update, but reappeared on the list of important updates at least three times.
There's more than one C++ runtime. MS may still be issuing updates for Visual 2005, Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 08:28:25
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The one that gets me is the .NET Framework, usually huge update.
I assume as just a regular user, I don't need it.
Correct ?
Not correct. It's an important framework. As I said in my reply to the other poster - leave it be. Having .NET on your computer will not do any harm and the amount of disk space it's taking up is insignificant. I really do think you're creating more potential problems by trying to second guess what Windows wants and needs. The fact that you're having to ask if it matters is further proof of that in my opinion.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Wed 19-Oct-11 08:29:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to