Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 03:03:52
Print Post

Firefox Oddity.

[link to this post]

All my cookies expired today in firefox. I visit about 5 forums on a daily basis and click "forever" or "remember me" on all forums and today after 12 midnight I visted them all and have had to log in to each one again including this one. Is there some setting in FF that does this, I didn't clear my history manually so am really puzzled.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
recapped ST546v6 on 8 Meg Active
Check my bad boy speeds out on ZeN
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 03:42:03
Print Post

Re: Firefox Oddity.

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Another oddity noticed when checking the options tabs the Cache was up to 1GB there doesnt seem to be anyway of managing this other than overriding the auto management. Cache too big ? I cleared it and it back down to zero. Would this cause cookie corruption?

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
Standard User longedge
(member) Tue 08-Nov-11 07:24:09
Print Post

It's been a minor irritation for me for quite a long time now that my saved login details 'disappear' from time to time. I've never really followed it through but have always thought that it co-incides with auto updates. My login for this forum seems to 'expire' out of step with others though. It's never been enough of an issue for me to investigate properly but it'll be interesting to see if there are any other comments.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 07:28:57
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I was wondering if the time change had anything to do with it. Googled and came up empty. Weird.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 07:39:39
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I don't know what causes it, but this happens to me with IE from time to time. It seems to be associated with times when the computer hasn't shut down properly.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 10:05:24
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

No shut downs between all the cookies being reset, weirder and weirder. Should say this is XP. My other XP machine with same setup hasnt done it so cant be time change.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 08-Nov-11 12:14:30
Print Post

Have you got any cleaning software operating behind the scenes? If you had, and it updatedm it might have reverted to default settings (I know, it's unlikely).

I thought of software because CCleaner's tabs seperate IE from other browsers. When I first moved from IE to FF, it took a couple of cleans for me to realise my choice FF data was being wiped too (selected cookies, saved passwords etc.).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Nov-11 14:10:17
Print Post

I had the same problem and it kept recurring when I recovered the backup database file.
I solved it by deleting the database file completely and let it rebuild itself - using Windows 7 64 bit
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 14:24:05
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Have you got any cleaning software operating behind the scenes? If you had, and it updatedm it might have reverted to default settings (I know, it's unlikely).

I thought of software because CCleaner's tabs seperate IE from other browsers. When I first moved from IE to FF, it took a couple of cleans for me to realise my choice FF data was being wiped too (selected cookies, saved passwords etc.).

Haven't got CC tried EONs ago and seemed to run into trouble with registry cleaning breaking something or deleting a key it shouldnt so gave up. It was like 10pm went away for a sammich, after using all the 5 or 6 forums. Close firefox. Come back at 1am, having to log in to all the forums again, literally anything with a persistent login including facebook and gmail.

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Nov-11 14:24:36
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oldjim:
I had the same problem and it kept recurring when I recovered the backup database file.
I solved it by deleting the database file completely and let it rebuild itself - using Windows 7 64 bit

Where do I find this database Jim? Got any more info?

Tim
ZeN & freenetname
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to