Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User neathblue
(learned) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:13:05
Print Post

Keep an Eye out for the youngsters

[link to this post]

Hi i have been asked to install a 4 pc network all to have total internet access but the parents want control over what the kids are looking at or searching for.
1 they would like to see from their pc what the kids are doing
2 they want a list of where they are going

Any ideas

thanks
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:32:49
Print Post

Re: Keep an Eye out for the youngsters

[re: neathblue] [link to this post]

Ring Social Service and get the kids new parents. Seriously all that will happen is that it will displace their real internet activity to another time and another place.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 16-Nov-11 14:01:33
Print Post

No Internet access for kids seems to be the easiest solution, and if parents came to me with such nannying requests, I would immediately refuse to help on the grounds that I would not want the blame should something happen.

There is no panacea that will reduce such paranoia. It's up to them to trust their children and/or 'parent' them. If they feel they have to watch their kids Internet activities in secret, that's their choice, but it's a very controlling one.

Are we talking illegal sites, or just ones that any average parent would worry about? Will it be what political or social views they might want to explore? Where does the nannying stop, and when does it stop being protective and start being restrictive?

No I don't have kids. No I don't want kids. They're far too much hassle. smile

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Alex1M6
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 14:39:21
Print Post

Try this http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Only thing is that you cannot control anything remotely, it is only locally managed but it does allow you to set a password and it keeps a log.

Other than that I don't think there are any remote controllable applications for the home market, usually this sort of software is used by schools to make sure students are getting on with their work during lessons. It is usually expensive too and requires the use of a separate windows server to work.
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:34:40
Print Post

You could use opendns and therby the parents would be able to restrict their childrens useage to some degree, just as long as the dns is altered in the router.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
  Print Thread

Jump to