Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:11:05
Print Post

Compliance: Windows 7 & 8

[link to this post]

I could do with a new printer plus the new version of a software application I use regularly. There are other bits and bobs as well. All my systems are Windows XP and I’ll probably replace at least one in 2012. If I buy the things I want/need now, they’ll be Windows 7. However, what if I buy a new computer system after the release of Windows 8? (When’s the exact UK date? Is it known?) Will software designed to run on Win 7 be compliant with Win 8?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:14:15
Print Post

Re: Compliance: Windows 7 & 8

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

Cross-posting? Tut, tut!

__________________________________________________________________________________________
'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
‘The mood will pass, sir.’
P.G. Wodehouse -- The Code of the Woosters
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Nov-11 15:37:03
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Total accident. I wondered why my post wasn't showing up on this forum so I posted it again. F ourse, the first post was elsewhere...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:11:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by ARD:
Total accident.
It's easily done tongue

I've closed the other thread, with a request to reply to this one as it makes more sense that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:16:20
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It really was an error. Thanks for closing the other post. smile
Standard User iand
(experienced) Sun 20-Nov-11 17:17:42
Print Post

I would go with ones that work with windows 7 for now, assuming they will work with Widows 8 if needed.

I currently use an HP printer only available for WinXP in Win7 by looking at the printer model and seeing what printer was the next generation of that series. I loaded the old driver in compatibility mode then the 'new' driver and hay presto all features work. Go figure.

IanD
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Nov-11 22:26:51
Print Post

I expect all hardware that works with windows 7 will work with windows 8 as under the bonnet Windows 8 is windows 7, just with some silly ribbon menu system and some stupid phone style interface.

I suggest you get windows 7 and give Windows 8 a wide berth.

As to your question, I expect all hardware available now will work with Windows 8

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sun 20-Nov-11 23:07:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I expect all hardware that works with windows 7 will work with windows 8 as under the bonnet Windows 8 is windows 7, just with some silly ribbon menu system and some stupid phone style interface.

I suggest you get windows 7 and give Windows 8 a wide berth.

As to your question, I expect all hardware available now will work with Windows 8

Personally I would only use Win 8 if I had a tablet.
What's the point of having a OS cluttered up with something you will never use.

A bottle of white, a bottle of red
Perhaps a bottle of rosé instead.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Mon 21-Nov-11 10:49:36
Print Post

Thanks Guys! re Windows 7 & 8

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Thanks for your answers all. The Win 8 release date suggests that I'll be replacing at lease one system within the Win 7 era so any software and hardware bought in the near future will be fine. Even if the release date is earlier than indicated I'd prefer Win 7 as past experience has taught me to avoid a brand new Microsoft release whenever possible!
Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Mon 21-Nov-11 19:31:17
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

When someone asks a question it really is not conducive to their request to make such trivial remarks as;
...."7 will work with windows 8 as under the bonnet Windows 8 is windows 7, just with some silly ribbon menu system and some stupid phone style interface."
There is significant and major differences in the proposed Windows 8 and there are some major advancements to the power shell and its engine. It is in no way a cosmetic tweak as you quite wrongly pontificated.
Microsoft have stated that anything that runs under Windows 7 will run in Windows 8 and there is possibility of a release date of the Autumn of 2012.
However release dates are historically very unreliable and I would suggest that as a good guide it is usually approximately a month or so after the final release candidate is made available for download to general release.

I hope this information is of some help to you
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to