Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:32:38
Print Post

Win 7 Windows Explorer lousy Search

[link to this post]

I took a screen shot, pasted into Paint, went to Save As. Often done this on earlier versions.

Instead of just offering me a "browse" screen to navigate to a target location, plus a drop-down of the type of file to save it as, it first gave me a window about the format to use.

Smelling trouble, I backed out and did a simple Save. No problem, except now it is impossible to find it using Windows Explorer for the intended purpose of uploading via FTP.

The Search in WE does find it, and clicking the link displays it. But zilch info about the path to where it is! So how am I supposed to FTP it?

(I have in fact solved the problem, in two different ways, but neither is an acceptable method).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:37:11
Print Post

Re: Win 7 Windows Explorer lousy Search

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You should of pressed the Save As button in the middle not the arrow on the right.

In search, right click on the target and click Open File Location

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 22-Nov-11 20:39:23)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:49:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
You should of pressed the Save As button in the middle not the arrow on the right.
?
There is no such button that I can see, nor a relevant arrow? Which version of Windows have you got? There is a huge "Paste" button on the left, and above it a small drop-down that gives you the File options I am used to. It was in there I clicked Save As, then swapped to Save.
In search, right click on the target and click Open File Location
That was (sort of) one of the non-acceptable methods I found. I right clicked and went to Properties. Considering this is the umpteenth evolution of making things intuitive that is a huge backwards step.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:57:34
Print Post

If you pasted an image into a blank paint file, you must havs specified where to save it, it does not matter if you click Save or Save As... if it has not been saved previously it asks where to save.

I'm a little unsure why you find those methods unacceptable locations or backwards steps... Please do correct me if I am wrong but as I see it you saved a file without looking where it had saved to.

As batboy said there is an "Open file location" option in Windows search which takes you to the folder it is, this sometimes does not work, but usually the cause is when dealing with files inside an archive.

(sensei) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:58:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Further to previous reply smile, please see this upload. Note that the other three files found have full paths displayed.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 20:59:57
Print Post

I'm talking about the Save As button. It has an arrow on the right, but you should press it in the middle, ignoring the file type selection.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:00:23
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
If you pasted an image into a blank paint file, you must havs specified where to save it, it does not matter if you click Save or Save As... if it has not been saved previously it asks where to save.
As I asked BatBoy, what version of Windows are you using?

What you say used to be true. I hold that it is no longer so. See also the screenshot I have just given BatBoy a link to smile.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:03:49
Print Post

Windows 7, of course smile

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:03:58
Print Post

Windows 7. As per link, if you right click that, there should be an option to "open file location".

Or go into detailed view rather that tiled or whatever it is, and check the file location column.

Alternatively, just drag and drop that file to the desktop then you definately know where it is...

So many ways to accomplish things in Windows smile

(sensei) Tue 22-Nov-11 21:49:51
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

OK smile. To both, but still not happy.

On going through the exact sequence I followed originally to save the screenshot, I agree it does show the path at the top at the point I name the file. As it always did. For some reason possibly associated with senility or red wine I didn't spot the location.

However, note the Subject. I wished to find the damn thing, so did a search for "leased line", and got the result linked to earlier.

As I said then, the full path is shown for the second and fourth items. Why isn't it shown for the firs and third?

Hence saying that having to right-click is not acceptable. I feel it should show the path. Did it on earlier versions, or can no-one remember?

@BatBoy - "You should of pressed the Save As button in the middle not the arrow on the right."

I don't see these, see the screenshot. Or do I also have a red mist from the wine crazy?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to