Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Nov-11 22:28:13
Print Post

email options

[link to this post]

I have a laptop (win7) and a desktop (win xp) as well as a windows mobile. On both machines I chose " remove email from server when deleted from Deleted items" on the advanced option on the email properties. I want to have copies of my emails on both machines. Currently sometimes I do get copies on both machines but mostly not( only on one machine). Do I need to alter the option on the accounts properties to : " remove from server after few days". If so do I have to make the same option on both machines? What happens if I make different option on each machine. However I do get all my emails on my mobile .
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 29-Nov-11 22:40:51
Print Post

Re: email options

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Does your mail provider offer "IMAP" access?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Nov-11 23:10:44
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

You need to select the option 'Keep copy on server for xx days' on both / all machines.
Set the xx to the longest period you are likely NOT to access the email on any of them.
Provided your email provider doesn't set low limit on your mailbox, 30 days is my choice.

Next you will be asking how to get copies of sent emails to the other ones.....,
not so easy wink
Regards,
Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-11 23:32:30
Print Post

BCC: to yourself!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 30-Nov-11 22:04:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
BCC: to yourself!

The 'not o easy' bit is to get them to Sent folder so as you can see their destination !
Regards,
Martin
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 22:19:21
Print Post

Easy! wink

Message Rules: Where From: = yourself Move to Sent Items.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Dec-11 20:25:30
Print Post

I have done as you suggested, but without the desired effect. I was on my laptop most of the day ,received about 7 to 8 emails. Now I am on my desktop, when I checked my emails I received just one, which is new not received by my laptop.
I know that the email appl on the laptop (win7) is different from the desktop (win xp), both are the default appl, but surely this should not make a difference. I am with Orange. They said if I choose to keep email copies on server that should do the job.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Dec-11 21:01:33
Print Post

Did you delete those received msgs on the laptop?

This can only happen if on the laptop you have either not to leave copy on server OR leave copy on server and delete from server when deleted from "Deleted Items", for the a/c in question.

Standard User philippercival
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 11:53:34
Print Post

A possible solution.

1. Open a gmail account.
2. Get it to collect the mail from your current account
3. Imap both your machines to the Google account

This has the advantage of adding Google's pretty good spam filtering to your mail.
If you choose to delete an email from either machine it will vanish from both, next time they synchronise with google.

It is possible to make the mail, look as though it is from your original address.
  Print Thread

Jump to