Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-11 00:16:47
Print Post

FF8 (and/or possibly NoScript) problem

[link to this post]

Today I've had a couple of problems in FF8, although I don't think it has updated since I last used the same sites (which is why I'm suspecting a NoScript update as that is the only one I've seen recently).

Today when I ran Google Calendar it came up with

"Sorry, you are trying to use Google Calendar with a browser that is not currently supported. Press OK to view a read only version of your calendar. Press Cancel to continue loading Google Calendar and hope for the best!"

(it seemed to work fine after a Cancel) and I suspected a Google problem. Then I went to log into my online banking and it claimed I was using an unsupported browser (it has never been a problem before with Firefox & I'm pretty sure I've logged in since the FF8 update ).

If it is a setting in FF or NoScript that needs changing? Has anyone an idea what might help?

The 2 things could just be co-incidental but I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Standard User mikebear
(newbie) Wed 30-Nov-11 07:15:13
Print Post

Re: FF8 (and/or possibly NoScript) problem

[re: bluetroll] [link to this post]

I can not comment on Google Calendar as I've not used it.

I had the same reply from Santander Bank some time ago with FF6 and they were only supporting FF3.5. It was OK when I tried a week later but shows the problems that can arise from the frequent FF updates. I've just tried FF8 and it works OK.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 14:33:55
Print Post

Sounds like a user agent issue. Goto Firefox->Help->Troubleshooting Information. At the top you should see something like: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0

Obvious question though, have you tried FF with add-ons disabled?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-11 15:48:13
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Somewhat bizarrely the User Agent listed in the Troubleshooting info is "undefined GoogleToolbarBB" (I did have the Google toolbar until it stopped letting me sign in anymore, so that may be the source).

Do you (or anyone else) know what the default string should be (Win7 64/FF8 - latest version if there's more than 1), I'm having trouble finding it? UserAgentString.com has helpful info that I may be able to work it out from but they don't give the strings for v7 & 8 (Although they do give v9!).

"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders."
Standard User bluetroll
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Nov-11 15:59:20
Print Post

Re: FF8 (and/or possibly NoScript) problem [Solved]

I'll reply to myself here.

Resetting the user agent in About:config (once I found it) put back the right info without me needing to work it out for myself laugh. Everything seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks for the help.

Print Thread

Jump to