Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Mon 05-Dec-11 10:15:25
Print Post

AVG free or paid?

[link to this post]

I'm sorting out a neighbour's laptop. The original Norton Security Suite that was included expired long ago and there's been nothing in the way of AV on there for three years! I have enabled the Windows Firewall (XP) and I see that there's an AVG AV program paid-for edition or a free one. What's the difference? He's happy to pay a subscription for a year's protection.
I installed SP3 and then 82 updates came through! Interestingly I scanned with Malwarebytes and there is absolutely nothing nasty on the machine - has he just been very lucky?

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 10:49:24
Print Post

Re: AVG free or paid?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

I have used the free version of AVG for many years on all my computers and never had a problem with it.

O2 Standard (8Mbps LLU)
Standard User Freedom86
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-11 11:15:30
Print Post

He has definitely been lucky! Is the person tech savvy at all? I find the free version of AVG is perfect for people who know not to click on links that say 'Free Screensaver' but you need the additional protection that the paid for version offers if you don't have this sound level of knowledge...

On an upshot I am a reseller of AVG and can offer better rates that on the website, so PM if interested.

P.S. Don't forget to run the nrt (norton removal tool) before installing and new security suite!

Edited by Freedom86 (Mon 05-Dec-11 11:16:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Dec-11 11:24:48
Print Post

[re: Freedom86] [link to this post]

Tell him to go and open a Barclays Bank esavings account and he can have Kaspersky free every year via the internet banking portal.

Not bad just for opening an account for £1
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 11:27:01
Print Post

AVG is now one of the least effective AV products. I'd avoid it in favour of MSE, Avira or Avast.

(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 11:30:55
Print Post

I don't find a need for anything other than Microsoft Security Essentials. It is an excellent product (particularly the latest incarnation now in beta).
Standard User bogwart
(newbie) Mon 05-Dec-11 11:31:43
Print Post

AVG free is fine unless you really need your hand held; with that in mind your neighbour has been extraordinarily lucky. But AVG is getting sneaky now, installing toolbars with updates without asking. Can't really blame them, everthing costs one way or another and £30 a year is not excessive.

I have, FWIW, met very few people who like Norton. It carries an excessive overload and tries to be all things to all users. It is also very bossy and reports too many false negatives.
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Mon 05-Dec-11 11:54:29
Print Post

[re: bogwart] [link to this post]

Yes, forgot to say that I totally zapped Norton from the system (although the shortcut was left on the desktop). What I said about three years' use with no updates and no infections is food for thought, although the owner is quite elderly and isn't a heavy user. I've downloaded the paid-for version (£25) from the AVG website and it's now running a scan as I write (nothing so far!). A word of warning - I got an email from them to say that the subscription would be automatically renewed after a year unless I click a link etc. to cancel. I have paid with my card and my neighbour was just going to bung me £25. He says he'll pay me every year and I'm not too bothered, but they should ask as part of the sign-up process if they are going to charge as an ongoing debit. This happened to me with McAffee until I complained.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
VM 50 Mbps
IE9

Advent laptop/Dell Inspiron 6000
Netgear 2200 via BT line (8Mbs).
BT Option 3
IE8 and OE6
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Dec-11 12:05:24
Print Post

Did you even tell your neighbour about the many free and superior products available?

(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Dec-11 12:09:41
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Seconding this advice. It's also worth adding that not only do you get Kaspersky Internet Security, they also give you a key for Kaspersky Mobile Security.

And since Kaspersky normally relase their next version around May, you will be allowed to update to 2013 versions at no extra cost (though the original key periods will remain).

You don't even need to use the account.

This is the cheapest way to get comprehensive PC\handheld AV Security that i'm aware of, second only to getting something bundled with a new PC\Lappy etc

Edited by RiffRaff (Mon 05-Dec-11 12:15:03)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to